Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British War Medal

Article about: Hello Gents a question if you please?? I was wondering how would I go about finding any information on this soldier?? Please just ppoint me in the direction & I will do some hunting!!!..

?

Default British War Medal

Hello Gents a question if you please?? I was wondering how would I go about finding any information on this soldier?? Please just ppoint me in the direction & I will do some hunting!!!.. I will let you know my results later if any??. Thank you very much for your time Terry. British War MedalBritish War MedalBritish War MedalBritish War MedalBritish War Medal

Default re: British War Medal

Pte Frederick J Harris, King's Royal Rifle Corps was entitled to the British War Medal & Victory Medal. However his Medal index card gives no other information other than this i.e. no theatre of war etc. From what I can see, he survived the war.

His service papers do not appear to have survived neither are there any pension papers for him. As he has a common name, it is unlikely you will be able to find out much more. You may have some luck if you contact the regimental museum (the KRRC amalgamated some years ago to become the Royal Green Jackets, and latterly The Rifles):about The Green Jackets Museum
    However, you will note that they do not hold service records of any kind so you will probably struggle to get anything more.

?

Thank you very much Skypilot for the infomation, its a shame we couldn't find out more about this soldier..But I do like the idea of him surviving the War..has a nice ring to it...Lets hope Mr Harris had a nice life after the war & got on with it...Thanks again for the info Mr Sky...Cheers Terry.

Hi Terry, here is a copy of his medal index card which skypilot has described to you.

There is a further snippet of info to be had if you hire a researcher at the National Archives. Would cost you about £15. He would be able to find his medal roll entries which would give his actual Battalion. From there you could work out where he fought etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British War Medal  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: British War Medal

Cheers Adrian that is spot on..I've saved that on my computer & will print it out when I get home I think will look nice with the medal...I will attempt to get hold of the National Archives people see what they can do..!!!..Thanks again Adrian that is really nice of you..It makes all the difference if you know a little about the man/woman behind the medal.....So thanks guys again Terry.

Hi Terry, this is the guy you need to speak too. He researched my Grandad's medal index entries. I can recommend him:

MilitaryResearch - Military, Historical and Genealogical Research

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Right I will get onto that right away old bean....Thanks again for your time & effort..This is just 1 of the reasons why I like WR...because it makes the hobby a lot more interesting, talking to people as yourself & others...So thanks again .............Terry.