Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bronze Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and Good Conduct Medal- Eras?

Article about: HI guys, I have been working long and hard on this militaria collection-catalog project, and I would like to know what category I should put these medals into. Can anyone identify the timefr

Default Re: Bronze Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and Good Conduct Medal- Eras?

WWII types are typically slot brooch type - I believe they should look like this:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5223709.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	420848  
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Bronze Star, Distinguished Service Cross, and Good Conduct Medal- Eras?

While slot brooch medals are the typical design of WWII era medals, there are situations where the government used "new old stock" for medals after the war. It's not too uncommon to see early Vietnam era medals with slot brooches and coffin style cases, but they're far and few between. However, for convenience sake, I would definitely agree that the good conduct is a WWII era strike. The Distinguished service cross looks like a 50's strike based on the style of the crimp brooch; I've seen this on other examples of medals from that time period. The Bronze star is definitely a 60's or later strike. What does the hallmark say on the back?

Alex

?

The BSM is current issue, DSC is also current issue from what I can see, WW2 medals have a less "brassy" look to them and a higher quality feel and finish. GCM is 100% ww2 era.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12