Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bronze Star set FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Article about: My parents own a recycling facility. Recently, tons of militaria has been coming in with the trash. This just came in! The box, medal, ribbon bar, and mini pin are all in mint condition... t

Default Bronze Star set FOUND IN GARBAGE!

My parents own a recycling facility. Recently, tons of militaria has been coming in with the trash.

This just came in!

The box, medal, ribbon bar, and mini pin are all in mint condition... they were all just a little dusty. There is nothing engraved on the back of the medal itself. The only markings I see are: G-23 on the back of the pin on the medal, G-GI on the back of the ribbon bar, and G-GI on the back of the pin. All of the backings say IRA Green INC. USA

Can anyone tell me when it's from? Judging by the box... I'd say Vietnam or more recent. What is the whole set worth?

Default Re: Bronze Star set FOUND IN GARBAGE!

This is a very recent medal..Vietnam era medals had a LI-GI mint maker's mark..More recent medals like this have a G-23 or G-27 mint maker's mark. The set itself is worth maybe $15-20 at most, given it's new (and also, presumably, un-named).

Still not a bad garbage find. No offense but every time you post something like this a little part of me dies. It makes me think of all the wonderful items that have been carelessly thrown out over the years.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Still not a bad garbage find. No offense but every time you post something like this a little part of me dies. It makes me think of all the wonderful items that have been carelessly thrown out over the years.
    Please, no offense taken at all! I feel the same way!

Seeing a medal in the trash got me especially upset. While I am glad to have it... the fact that someone threw out something that presumably their son (or daughter) worked/ fought hard for makes me sick. Im hoping someone lost it. I'm holding onto it and will return it if someone comes forward.

I showed this medal to one of our truck drivers who served in the military and he was shocked. He said: "Wow!... I'm, surprised someone threw that out. Someone had to earn that.... they had to sacrfice. It's not like you got one automatically upon signing up for the military. "

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Please, no offense taken at all! I feel the same way!

Seeing a medal in the trash got me especially upset. While I am glad to have it... the fact that someone threw out something that presumably their son (or daughter) worked/ fought hard for makes me sick.

I showed this medal to one of our truck drivers who served in the military and he was shocked. He said: "Wow!... I'm, surprised someone threw that out. Someone had to earn that.... they had to sacrfice. It's not like you got one automatically upon signing up for the military. "
    One of these days you just might find a Medal of Honor! In that case it would be time to start calling around to all of the local MOH winners.

One of these days you just might find a Medal of Honor! In that case it would be time to start calling around to all of the local MOH winners.
    lol, I was thinking the exact same thing. I may never have to buy militaria ever again. If I just wait long enough, whatever piece I need for my collection will eventually come in!

I don't know if you knew this or not... but I found a West Point cadet's cap in the trash earlier this summer. The cadet (1976 grad) thought the cap was lost forever but I was able to get it back to him. Next month he's going to be back in the area for a class reunion and we are going to get together for a cup of coffee.

Yea, I am pretty sure I read about that. That's pretty cool. I just picked up a named M1 helmet the other day that I may look into finding a family for.

Yea, I am pretty sure I read about that. That's pretty cool. I just picked up a named M1 helmet the other day that I may look into finding a family for.
    Good stuff!

I'll keep an eye out for a nice single decal Luftwaffe M40 or M42 for you, too

Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes with the West Point grad.

Will do!