Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Buying 3 British war medals, how can I tell if originals or fake.

Article about: Hi folks, looking at buying 3 medals, the 1939-1945 Pacific Star, 1939-1945 Star and the 1939-1945 Service Medal. I have been assured they are genuine and that they were issued to a British

Default Buying 3 British war medals, how can I tell if originals or fake.

Hi folks, looking at buying 3 medals, the 1939-1945 Pacific Star, 1939-1945 Star and the 1939-1945 Service Medal.

I have been assured they are genuine and that they were issued to a British POW held by the Japanease.

Ribbons are a bit worn but do look original, how can I tell if original or fake and what would seem a reasonable price for them ??.

?

Default Re: Buying 3 British war medals, how can I tell if originals or fake.

How much is being asked

Not much, a few quid, I don't think the current owner knows much about medals etc

?

First, look at the rear of the stars, are there any serial numbers or a name, if not dont worry too much, do the same to the medals ,only look around the edges, this is normally an indication of originality however a lot of medals dont have these markings, they may be reissued at a later date, i think those that were issued during the war were marked, after, they werent, do they have a nice age feel to them, are they very shiney or dull, are all the details crisp, dates , lettering etc, the best thing would be to take some photos and post them here but if they are that cheap why not just buy them

kc1
    ?

I would have thought a Japanese POW would have been entitled to a Burma Star rather than Pacific. WW2 British issue medals were not named officially unless an award for gallantry. If these medals are named then they were probably awarded to an Australian or South African. A Pacific medal usually points to Naval service. If available get the box they were sent in and or the award slip that shows the entitlement, although the slip won't be named unless the person was a casualty.

?

As i understood it British medals, although not officially named could be named if paid for by the individual, a practise that was forced upon the holder because the government couldnt afford it, it was a real bone of contention with servicemen, as for the Pacific star, yes it usually points to naval service, but surely he should have received the Burma star if POW of the japanese, just reviewed what was said , by rights the pacific star could have a bar to it indicating service in burma and visa versa, so it would have been possible
    Last edited by davejb; 04-11-2011 at 09:17 PM.

kc1
    ?

Engraved at Boot's the chemist, hence Boots naming. Pacific Star was from 081241 until close of play. Most POW were taken at or around that time, fall of Hong Kong and Singapore so unlikely award. POW taken singularly or in small groups by IJA would have taken in Burma or possibly New Guinea and life expectancy wasn't very long, used for bayonet practise or some bushido hero playing with his sword.

Thanks for the info and tips guys, will let you know how it all pans out and hopefully get some pictures up.

?

Hong Kong and Singapore POW's would not have qualified for the Burma Star, only the 39-45 Star, Pacific Star, and British War medal, typically.
    Pity the poor 18th Infantry Div.; originally sent to the Middle East, but then had their destination changed to Singapore, and were in the bag less two weeks or so after they disembarked. The division's CO died as a POW.

Quote by BobS View Post
    Hong Kong and Singapore POW's would not have qualified for the Burma Star, only the 39-45 Star, Pacific Star, and British War medal, typically.
    Pity the poor 18th Infantry Div.; originally sent to the Middle East, but then had their destination changed to Singapore, and were in the bag less two weeks or so after they disembarked. The division's CO died as a POW.
    On the contrary, any personnel serving in theatre pre 8 December 1941, in the garrisons of Hong Kong / Singapore / Malaya qualified for and received the DEFENCE MEDAL 'if ' the individual had 6 months qualifying - including aggregated quaifying service - service in theatre until that date. Such criteria generally means that 'most' of the British & Indian garrison battalions that had been in theatre at the start of the Pacific War qualified for the Defence Medal if they had been there for at least 6 months.

Correspondingly, and in contrast, the majority - but not all - of the 18th Division, who only arrived in Singapore in the month the colony surrendered, did not qualify or receive the Defence Medal.

Similarly Australian troops that arrived in theatre from Australia after June 1941, generally did not qualify for the Defence Medal, though there may have been the odd exception due to a serviceman having aggregated service from another qualifying area.

As information.

Mark