Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

canada history medal fenian raid 1866

Article about: i want to share to you this great medal of my collection i i am sure is not a copy i am very appreciate your help i want you look this great piece off history for my contry canada The recipi

Default canada history medal fenian raid 1866

i want to share to you this great medal of my collection i i am sure is not a copy i am very appreciate your help i want you look this great piece off history for my contry canada
    The recipient's name, service number, rank, and unit were engraved on the rim.
    (pte .w . j . reid . 16 th . bn . )

The medal was awarded to members of the Imperial and Canadian forces who had taken part in the suppression of the Fenian raids and Riels' first rebellion, the latter being generally referred to as the Red River expedition.

the Bars
    Fenian Raid (1866): Fenians is the name of the old Irish National Militia. After the Civil War in the USA, the American Fenians were bolstered by Civil War mercenaries. In need of something to occupy this large force, John O'Neil crossed the Niagara River, captured Fort Erie, and made his headquarters at Limeridge. The Fenians defeated a unit of the Canadian Militia at Ridgeway, but withdrew to the USA when a stronger force was sent to the area. President Johnson had many of the Fenians arrested.

if you know were i am posible take a hand on original Ribbon
    The ribbon is 1.25 inches wide and consists of three equal stripes: red, white, and red. (The same ribbon as the 1943 Canada Medal.)
    send me email have a nice day
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture canada history medal fenian raid 1866   canada history medal fenian raid 1866  

canada history medal fenian raid 1866   canada history medal fenian raid 1866  

?

Default Re: canada history medal fenian raid 1866

Interesting medal, and he has the same name as me apart from the middle initial, but back then I would probably have been on the fenian side !

nice very rare piece....

Fishingak
    ?

Hey I recently inherited one of these medals through my family. I have heard that there were some fake ones made throughout time. Is there anyway to tell if it is real or a duplicate?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Please post some pics of your medal. I personally cannot help as this is right outside of my collecting experience, but I am sure another forum member will be able to help.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Goodday, I know this is an old thread but wanted to add some info for you. I maintain the list of extant Canada General Service Medals which can be accessed through extant and it is alway great to look up the info available Library and Archives Canada at: Military Medals, Honours and Awards, 1812

Jim