Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian War medal

Article about: nice medals. as the common five, my grandfather had these, and then a few more.

Thumbs up Canadian War medal

my modest contribution to Western Allies Forum
    my first canadian war medals , i buy this set today and i am very Happy i like the Silver Medals .

the first Medal in left side

The 39-45 Star :
    The Star was awarded for six months service on active operations for Army and Navy, and two months for active air-crew between 02 September 1939 and 08 May 1945 (Europe) or 02 September 1945 (Pacific). Canadians received 305,000 stars, 88 with bars

The France and Germany Star:
    The Star was awarded for one day or more of service in France, Belgium, Holland or Germany between 06 June 1944 (D-Day) and 08 May 1945. There were 230,000 stars issued to Canadians.

The Defence Medal :
    A circular, silver (.800 fine) medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. The British issue medals were made of cupro-nickel.
    Although the medal was usually awarded to Canadians for six months service in Britain between 03 September 1939 and 08 May 1945, the exact terms were: Service in the forces in non-operational areas subjected to air attack or closely threatened, providing such service lasted for three or more years. Service overseas or outside the country of residence, providing that such service lasted for one year, except in territories threatened by the enemy or subject to bomb attacks, in which case it was six months prior to 02 September 1945. Under the terms of this last condition, Canadians serving for one year in Newfoundland were eligible and persons serving for six months in Hong Kong were also eligible. The qualifying period in mine and bomb disposal was three months. Canadians serving in West Africa, Palestine and India, other than operational air crew, qualified for this medal. Those awarded the GC or GM for civil defence received this medal. Home Guard and others in Britain qualified for this medal. There were 325,000 medals issued to Canadians.

The Voluntary Medal with bar:
    A circular, silver medal (.925 fine silver), 1.42 inches in diameter
    The Canadian Volunteer Service Medal is granted to persons of any rank in the Naval, Military or Air Forces of Canada who voluntarily served on Active Service and have honourably completed eighteen months (540 days) total voluntary service from September 3, 1939 to March 1, 1947. A silver bar (often called a clasp), a maple leaf at its centre was awarded for 60 days service outside Canada. A silver maple leaf is worn on the ribbon in undress. There were 1,183,000 eligible, with 650,000 medals and 525,500 bars awarded.

The War Medal 1939-45 :
    A circular, (.800 fine) silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. The British issue medals were made of cupro-nickel. The War Medal was awarded to all full-time personnel of the armed forces and merchant marines for serving for 28 days between 03 September 1939 and 02 September 1945. In the Merchant Navy, the 28 days must have been served at sea. There were 700,000 issued, including 4,450 to the Canadian Merchant Marine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian War medal  

Default Re: Canadian War medal

Nice set Pierre !

nice set

I have always admired the fineness, beauty and superb quality of British and Canadian medals. In hand, they are quite heavy and beautiful to look at.
    Last edited by Steven M; 04-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    I have always admired the fineness, beauty and superb quality of British ans Canadian medals. In hand, they are quite heavy and beautiful to look at.
    i agree with you , beauty ,quality,and heavy , only one think, the price is very low for a real silver medals

Nice you have them on the ribbon bar for parade. That soldier saw some serious action. Any idea who it was, or regiment?

two new silver Canadian War medal , the medal on the right-side is new, the other is used

The War Medal 1939-45 :
    A circular, (.800 fine) silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. The British issue medals were made of cupro-nickel. The War Medal was awarded to all full-time personnel of the armed forces and merchant marines for serving for 28 days between 03 September 1939 and 02 September 1945. In the Merchant Navy, the 28 days must have been served at sea. There were 700,000 issued, including 4,450 to the Canadian Merchant Marine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian War medal   Canadian War medal  

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    Nice you have them on the ribbon bar for parade. That soldier saw some serious action. Any idea who it was, or regiment?
    i have no idea , sorry

Nice gongs...this particular set of medals is also known as the common five.

None of the British Isles or Canadian WWII medals were issued named,
    except for Long Service Medals and Decorations.

I remember reading that a lot of WWII Vets were p----'d that their medals
    were not named, like WWI medals are. One reasoning for this was, that
    it would have taken too long to officially name all of them - because of
    the greater numbers of service people involved during WWII.

The fact that they are un-named makes them 'common' - as Mk1rceme
    has stated regarding the typical group of five - and somewhat less
    interesting to collectors because they cannot be researched.
    This is what also keeps these sets at much lower prices
    than named sets.

I do like the fact that the Canadian issue are in genuine Silver,
    instead of the British 'Cupro-Nickel' type...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast