Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Dunkirk medal: real or fake?

Article about: hello everybody, I have just bought this dunkirk medal. It seems these medals are being faked alot? Is this medal real or a fake? How do you notice the difference? Thank you.

?

Default Dunkirk medal: real or fake?

hello everybody,

I have just bought this dunkirk medal.
    It seems these medals are being faked alot?
    Is this medal real or a fake? How do you notice the difference?

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dunkirk medal: real or fake?   Dunkirk medal: real or fake?  

Default Re: Dunkirk medal: real or fake?

possibly a post war commemorative medal,,,

As Militarymania says, this is a 1960 commemorative medal, issued through the Dunkirk Veterans Association (now disbanded) and subsequently managed by the French National Association of Veterans of the Fortified Sector of Flanders and of Dunkirk (approx translation).

I seem to recall that the City of Dunkerque was involved in the decision to issue the medal.

I don't know how many were issued or with what controls.

Your medal looks okay to me. I never heard of any faking, but if the original dies are still around, who knows?

British Dunkirk veterans would have qualified for (at least)the 1939-45 Star and 1939-45 War Medal.

It lists for 60-70 quid.

Hope this helps.

Pat

?

I have found another picture of a dunkirk medal on the net.
    On the front of the medal is an inscription: ECOLE DES METIERS D’ART – PARIS’
    The medal I have bought does not have this inscription. Does it mean now that my medal is a fake?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dunkirk medal: real or fake?  

the Paris example was the initial official French issue which was accompanied with a certificate. several later versions have been manufactured to cater for the veteran market, together with a diminishing quality.

kc1
    ?

I thought the original issued through the town of Dunkirk medals had the certificate number stamped on the medal. I believe the Dunkirks Veterans Association was instrumental in sorting it out. With the ww2 medals being un named and the records still not in the public domain then adding a Dunkirk medal, even a reproduction, to a group raises its value compared to the run of the mill set.

Firstly, I realise the original post was made some years ago, but for the benefit of anyone who should come across this site in the future I thought I might contribute.

I am the benefactor of my Grandfathers medals (Thomas Bradley) whom I knew as an adult until his death. My Grandfather was a Regimental Sgt Major W.O. DLI 8th Battalion and veteran of the 1940 Dunkerque evacuation. He was awarded his certificate from the above mentioned "Dunkirk Veterans Association" but had to pay for his medal. I remember him being deeply disgruntled about that but decided to make the purchase anyway. I can confirm the certificate number is not replicated on the medal. Please see the photographs below of a framed collection which includes the Dunkerque certificate, medal, his service medals and the Inkerman Chain from his uniform which I also have in my possession.

Dunkirk medal: real or fake?Dunkirk medal: real or fake?
    Dunkirk medal: real or fake?

?

Nice post snakecharmer you must be so proud of your grandfather what a liberty asking him to pay for his medal utterly shameful

The framed presentation is outstanding. Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote by BRIOLF View Post
    what a liberty asking him to pay for his medal utterly shameful
    This may be right and I can appreciate how some veterans might have felt this way perhaps not understanding that this was a commemorative issue rather than a state award albeit the town of Dunkirk had some involvement.

It would have been a welcome gesture if the medal had been officially funded but I imagine that the demands on the French public purse pulled in other directions.

The Saudi and Kuwati medals for the 1st Gulf conflict were funded by those states but are still only keepsakes. To be honest as a serving soldier the only medals that ever mattered to me were those awarded by and in the name of my own sovereign.

I am sure your grandfathers "high dudgeon" was a little tongue in cheek!

A nice piece of history you have there and one that you should consider a part of his medal group.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."