Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dunkirk veterans medal

Article about: With the recent interest with the new Dunkirk film thought I would show this medal from my collection. Sadly I dont have the certificate and other medals and so far have not found any info o

jwp
    ?

Default Dunkirk veterans medal

With the recent interest with the new Dunkirk film thought I would show this medal from my collection.
    Sadly I dont have the certificate and other medals and so far have not found any info on the recipients war service.
    Cheers, John.

Dunkirk veterans medal

Nice medal. I had an uncle at Dunkirk a Csm I believe with the DLI, Remember him still in the 70's being pee'd off about retreating over the same ground he fought over some 22 years previously.

Keep in mind it is not an official medal and would not be authorized for wear or worn the official medal combination- but functionally veteran bling - and says so on the package. Like the Bomber Command medal etc. It is an interesting item never the less.

jwp
    ?

Quote by asterperious View Post
    Keep in mind it is not an official medal and would not be authorized for wear or worn the official medal combination- but functionally veteran bling - and says so on the package. Like the Bomber Command medal etc. It is an interesting item never the less.
    thank you for your reply, yes I am aware of what it is, but its an area of collecting that interest me, each to their own as they say !!
    cheers, John.

The sale of 'commemorative' medals these days is reaching ridiculous levels, although I am certainly NOT pointing the finger at the Dunkirk medal - or indeed any commemorative medal for WW2 veterans. At The last count I 'qualified' for no less than eleven 'bling' medals. There are two versions of one medal for those of us who served in Germany... the 'British Forces Germany' medal, and the 'BAOR' medal. The tendency these days is to bring out medals for non-combat postings. Apparently there are some former soldiers who complain about never having received any medals for their service, so they buy the commemorative 'bling' junk to wear instead. I just think to myself how lucky they are that they never had to put their life on the line to earn a 'proper' medal.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The sale of 'commemorative' medals these days is reaching ridiculous levels, although I am certainly NOT pointing the finger at the Dunkirk medal - or indeed any commemorative medal for WW2 veterans. At The last count I 'qualified' for no less than eleven 'bling' medals. There are two versions of one medal for those of us who served in Germany... the 'British Forces Germany' medal, and the 'BAOR' medal. The tendency these days is to bring out medals for non-combat postings. Apparently there are some former soldiers who complain about never having received any medals for their service, so they buy the commemorative 'bling' junk to wear instead. I just think to myself how lucky they are that they never had to put their life on the line to earn a 'proper' medal.
    Spot on Harry
    "Per Ardua"

kc1
    ?

Is the award serial numbered, that is does it match the number on the certificate. I believe there were several issues of this award, only the earlier ones were serialised. There was another issue for late comers. There were also rumours of these being made to order to enhance an otherwise run of the mill ww2 group with Dunkirk cache, worth more and not readily checkable.

jwp
    ?

Yes I think the original issue of these to French recipients were serial numbered, but don't quote me !, don't think the issue to British recipients was serial numbered as such, there is no number on the medal, the slip that came with the medal has the certificate number on.
    Cheers, John.

My group:

Dunkirk veterans medal

?

Nice, great to have the whole package as well. My Granddad was at Dunkirk having joined the BEF when it was established in 1938. He was in the Royal Engineers regiment and went on to serve in Africa, Sicilly and then on to Italy. He never really spoke about the War and sadly took his memories with him when he passed. I have his miniature medals being the eldest grandson, ( his large medals went to his eldest son who has passed them on to his). I also have collected a Dunkirk medal as a mark of respect and remembrance for his service to this country and freedom. WilkoDunkirk veterans medal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast