Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown

Article about: This Purple Heart is one of the few that was NOT, repeat NOT awarded for wounds received in action: Brown, George R. Jr., First Lieutenant, born in Alabama on 28 September 1890, date of rank

Arrow Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown

This Purple Heart is one of the few that was NOT, repeat NOT awarded for wounds received in action:

Brown, George R. Jr., First Lieutenant, born in Alabama on 28 September 1890, date of rank to 2nd Lieutenant was 14 June 1917, with his history being this: Private, Company B, 2nd Infantry, North Carolina National Guard as of 2 July 1916, vacated (not sure what that means, I suspect it was the day he was discharged from the NCNG to take his commission) on 7 July, 1917, he was appointed a 2nd Lieutenant of Infantry on 14 June 1917 and was appointed to that rank from North Carolina, he was appointed a 1st Lieutenant on June 14th, 1917 (must have had some skills or something they wanted, two ranks in one day!), he was accepted to that rank on 8 July, 1917, and then promoted temporarily to Captain on 13 November, 1917.

When the Purple Heart decoration was revived in 1932, its regulations authorized the award to any holder of an AEF MSCC as well as to any veteran who had been wounded in action. One reference quotes a total of 4200 MSCC's having been issuerd up until the AEF sailed home from France" (Col Gleim documents 4,119 certificates).

Col. Al Gleim commented on the MSCC as follows: " These certificates issued by HQ, AEF with a Pershing signature were apparently an attempt to provide recognition for those members of the AEF who had contributed significantly to success of the AEF in administration, staff and support roles and whose performance did not merit the award of a DSM and/or a valor decoration or gallantry citation. It is suspected that the bulk of these awards were based on DSM recommendations that could not be approved. A notice in the May 8, 1920 issue of the Army & Navy Journal "(provided a listing of awards by unit). The 6th Division had six officers and 11 enlisted receive the MSCC.

The criteria for awarding the Purple Heart existed into early WWII and there was an MSCC Purple Heart awarded for Pearl Harbor to an Air Corps officer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown

The award card.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown

The absolute mint Heart.
    Attached Images Attached Images Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Reverse.
    Attached Images Attached Images Exceedingly rare Purple Heart: WWI MSCC Purple Heart to Capt. George R. Brown 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Matching number box...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Lastly, the letter from the NPRC...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Well I never!

That is very interesting to learn.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Well I never!

That is very interesting to learn.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,

I had no clue when I purchased it, but it was cheap because the guy I bought it from said he had searched every NATIONAL GUARD roster available and couldn't find a thing...too bad that he did not search Regular Army units.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]