Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fake engraved Purple Heart?

Article about: just saw this on ebay and it looks like someone invested in stamping kit or am i wrong? * NAMED * RARE ORIGINAL WW2 US PURPLE HEART MEDAL ORDER IN PRESENTATION CASE | eBay

?

Default Re: Fake engraved Purple Heart?

If I was the original recipient and had paid some one to engrave or stamp this purple heart I would have been pissed with the poor workmanship

Regards Mark K

That is in no way a WWII engraving on that PH. That looks to be a Vietnam-Era or later engraving. While the heart itself may be WWII issue (keep in mind, the slot brooch PH was awarded all the way through Vietnam with new old stock), the engraving is not authentic to the original time period. In addition, it's grossly overpriced from average market value. It's possible that this may be a late issue replacement to a soldier, but be warned that it is not an official WWII engraving.

Alex

Unless there's proof that this soldier was awarded a PH or was KIA, the lone bidder is burning a nasty hole in his pocket by overpaying for a desecrated original. This seller is usually on point with their descriptions, but this is the first with inaccurate information.

?

Just an FYI. The naming on this medal is most likely official U.S Government done. It is probably the least common (or the script engraving) and it is called Pantograph engraving and was a stamping process. Its the same kind of thing you will find on army Good Conduct medals of the era. It was used for a short period towards the end of the war to speed up the naming process.

Edit. Just found out that the Pantograph naming was used for only 2 month in 1945.

This style of engraving was also available at some separation centers for returning servicemen with field issued medals. There are some differences with these as the normal PQMD engraving guides did not apply. You will often find these example with more "haphazard" lettering and sometime a rank, nickname or unit will be stamped.

?

Just to illustrate. Here is one from my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0192.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	493023  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12