Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Family Medal Group

Article about: Hello folks. Picked this one up as a birthday present for myself. Since my last British medal group, I've developed an interest in groupings that span the two world wars. This one isn't as c

Default Family Medal Group

Hello folks.

Picked this one up as a birthday present for myself. Since my last British medal group, I've developed an interest in groupings that span the two world wars. This one isn't as comprehensive as the last one, but is fully attributed.

This grouping belonged to two generations of the same family: John Norman Humphreys, who served in the Royal Engineers during the First World War, and his son, John Derek Humphreys, who served in the 107th Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps. John Norman Humphreys survived his war. His son did not.

John Derek Humphreys was killed in action on 8th August 1944, during the Allied invasion of France. As part of the 107th Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps, he would have embarked at Gosport for Normandy at the beginning of July. It fought as an independent brigade under the command of the 21st Army Group, and could be assigned to any regular infantry division that required armoured support, with regiments often being split up to fulfil that purpose and formed into brigade groups with those divisions.

It first went into action on 15th July 1944, during Operation Greenline, part of the Second Battle of the Odon. It was assigned to pin down German forces in order to prevent their intervention in the planned breakout from the Normandy Beachhead, codenamed Operation Cobra. It supported the 15th Scottish Division in a night attack towards Evreux. The Regiment lost six tanks in this action, with six men killed, seven wounded, and one missing.

On 7th August, 107 RAC moved up in support of 176th Brigade of 59th Division, who had established a bridgehead across the River Orne. 'A' Squadron managed to cross the river, followed shortly by 'C' Squadron. At this point, the Germans mounted a counter-attack, and some of the British infantry was forced to withdraw, leaving the armoured units vulnerable to attacks by Tiger and Panther tanks. Despite heavy casualties, the bridgehead was held. But as a result of their losses, the shattered squadrons had to be reformed as a single composite squadron until the Regiment's eventual withdrawal from the line on 19th August.

It is likely that Trooper John Derek Humphreys, the recipient of these medals, was one of the men killed as part of this latter action. He is remembered with honour at the Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery, 11 kilometres east of Caen, Normandy. A photograph of his grave can be seen here: King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

Family Medal Group

Medals and record scans of Sapper John Norman Humphreys, Royal Engineers, WWI:

Family Medal GroupFamily Medal GroupFamily Medal GroupFamily Medal Group

Medals and condolence slip of Trooper John Derek Humphreys, 107th (King's Own) Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps, WWII:

Family Medal GroupFamily Medal GroupFamily Medal Group

Commonwealth War Graves Commission Record:

Family Medal Group

Regards, B.B.

?

Very presented and written piece mate!

Would you ever consider visiting that Commonwealth grave?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Very presented and written piece mate!

Would you ever consider visiting that Commonwealth grave?
    I would like to do that one day. In fact, I'd like to visit the resting places of all the recipients whose medals I now own. To document their graves for the sake of research, and to say 'thank you'.

B.B.

MAP
    ?

Lots of well researches history in this grouping.

Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)