Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Family medals

Article about: Good morning from a very gloomy Jersey..... I'm hoping some of you could help me identify some medals that belong to my girlfriend. She doesn't know anything about them, apart from they were

Default Family medals

Good morning from a very gloomy Jersey..... I'm hoping some of you could help me identify some medals that belong to my girlfriend. She doesn't know anything about them, apart from they were passed down to her from loft clear outs of deceased grandparents. Knowing I have an interest in military history she asked me if I could find out a bit about them. All we know is the gentleman in question served in WW2 and was my girlfriends grandad, but passed away when she was a small girl,and nothing really was mentioned about him.
    The family surname is Griffiths and by the paperwork enclosed with medals he was an LAC and had service number 1256068.
    I'm not interested in value as they will NEVER be sold, but most probably mounted and a short history about the man put with them. In case they have any value, the only reason I would need to know would be for insurance purposes.
    We thankyou in advance for any/all help received, and if better pictures are asked for I can do
    Steve

Family medals

?

Every single one of those look foreign to me. Nothing a US Military would award. Try looking up a table of British, Etc - awards / decorations / ribbons? They have these posted on the internet...

?

Also - the insurance I go through doesn't require photos of anything under $5000... I'm also pretty sure - you are not going to need to worry about insuring these... I know that USAA would cover small items like this - but I would suspect the premium wouldn't be worth the medals in a physical retail sense...

Thanks for your reply Duff, he was in the British military, more specifically the RAF we think, but the bronze star shaped medal on the far left of the picture looks like an Army issued medal, as my grandad had one similar, I'm still looking for any paperwork that may have come with them, and also searching online for answers. This forum is a fantastic font of knowledge and has many extremely knowledgeable members, that's why my first " port of call" was WRF, as I know someone would know about them. Thanks again Duff, hope you have a great day

?

Coming from the US Military - I don't think any of these are US issue Bro... Having the "crown" in the medal is somewhat of a dead giveaway... Now, were foreign medals awarded to US Military - you bet! Sorry - But I'm zero help on foreign medals... All the ones I'm familiar with are US issued... Cheers!

CBH
    ?

British or Common Wealth metals , nothing really rare , Africa Star , United Kingdom metal , 39-45 Star , War Metal . Not my area but hope that helps .

AIF
    ?

Hi Steve, Judging by the medals your Girlfriends Grandfather would have served in the RAF in North Africa somewhere, LAC is an Airforce rank for Leading Aircraftman. From left to right you have The Africa Star, The Defence Medal, The 1939-45 Star and the British War Medal 1939-45. Common medals and not really worth much but being from a family member they are priceless.

Cheers Luke.

Thankyou all so much for your help on this, it means a lot, Thankyou. I found this in an envelope, it seems to be some kind of certificate dictating what the medals are, the star with the Blue/Red/Lightblue ribbon interested me as on the cert it said 1939-45 star and has "Battle of Britain" in the column on the right, could this mean he was involved in the Battle Of Britain? I would really like to find out what trade he was, ground or aircrew, it seems the more boxes I look in the more stuff we have!
    Once again I'm really grateful for the time you all have taken to reply to my thread and give me a small insight into these medals
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family medals   Family medals  

The certificate can often be found with Second World War medals. It just shows the clasps that COULD be awarded for wear on the medal ribbon. More research would be required to find out if he was eligible for this clasp as none of the boxes are marked. Nice to see people who appreciate their family's military history.

See this site for info on the medals and qualifications for having been awarded them, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_campaign_medals

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast