Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Famous Crimean War Medal

Article about: I am not a collector of British awards and decorations I collect TR but I served in the Grenadier Guards for 18 years hence my interest in this medal. The is an exceptionally famous photogra

Default Famous Crimean War Medal

I am not a collector of British awards and decorations I collect TR but I served in the Grenadier Guards for 18 years hence my interest in this medal.

The is an exceptionally famous photograph of Capt. Lord Balgonie Grenadier Guards showing the first ever recorded signs of shell shock

The medal is inscribed Capt. Visc. Balgonie. Gren. Guards

For anyone interested this link is worth reading - Was Lord Balgonie shell-shocked? - British photographic history

Alexander Leslie-Melville, Viscount Balgonie was a Captain in the Grenadier Guards.
    He held the title of Lord Balgonie, he was the eldest son of David-Leslie Melville, 8th Earl of Leven, 7th Earl of Melville. He served in the Grenadier Guards, and died in 1857 as a result of hard campaigning in the Crimean War.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Famous Crimean War Medal  
    Attached Images Attached Images Famous Crimean War Medal