Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French framed group of 4 WW1 medals

Article about: Just got this framed collection. Trying to work out the regiment. I assume it's 'Regiment d'Artillerie', but 27 or 97? Does anyone know if there was a 97th in WW1? It has been suggested the

Default French framed group of 4 WW1 medals

Just got this framed collection. Trying to work out the regiment. I assume it's 'Regiment d'Artillerie', but 27 or 97? Does anyone know if there was a 97th in WW1? It has been suggested the word after the regiment is 1st Citation.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    French framed group of 4 WW1 medalsFrench framed group of 4 WW1 medalsFrench framed group of 4 WW1 medalsFrench framed group of 4 WW1 medals

Hi Tony,

A nice set of medals. I have two sets in the same style frame, one being a four medal set - and the other a five medal set. I also have a seven medal set, but in a much less ornate frame. I've had a look and there are 41 soldiers listed with the surname of 'Houziaux.' have a look on this website... 'GRAND MEMORIAL CULTURE. FR'

For any WW1 French regiments have a look on... 'Parcours des régiments 14-18.' I would hazard a guess that it is '2' and not a '9' in the regimental number. Your man survived the war by the looks of it. I've attached a picture of my seven medal set, but I seem to have mislaid pictures of the other two sets - but they should be on here somewhere. Good luck with your document search!

I think this thread would be better in the WW1 forum section!

Cheers,
    Steve.

French framed group of 4 WW1 medals

Thanks Steve. Interesting that you have 2 sets in the same style frame. Must have been popular after WW1. The photo is a very nice touch.

Have looked on the memorial site, no hits, but is that site for those killed in WW1 or having served? Looks like I need to put some time into it.

Take your point re WW1 section of the forum.

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Hello Tony
    very nice !
    I can read 97 or 95 ?
    may I post it on a french medal forum, for more informations ?
    please, thanks
    cordially
    Didier

Hi Didier,
    Yes, that would be very helpful.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Thanks Steve. Interesting that you have 2 sets in the same style frame.
    Hi Tony,

The website: 'GRAND MEMORIAL CULTURE. FR' lists those who died and those who survived. Sometimes it is best to leave out the first name (prenom) when searching. I blew up your regimental number and I still see it as '27', but sometimes it is very difficult to be sure. You will find that Didier is an extremely helpful individual, and if anyone can turn up any information it will be him. I would suggest that you take another picture of the soldiers details, but do it straight on and not angled - this will help in trying to work out exactly what has been written.

I've taken a couple of pictures of my other sets for you to see. This style of frame appeared to be quite popular. Both frames were in very poor condition when I got them, and I had to spend some time restoring them.

Cheers,
    Steve.

French framed group of 4 WW1 medalsFrench framed group of 4 WW1 medals

Hi Steve,
    Great set of medals on the lower one. Were you able to find out anything about the chap's history?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

This man (Bourlot) was killed in action in May 1918 at Chemin des Dames. You may have noticed that there are two CDG, the first is dated 1914-1917, and the second is 1914-1918. One has a bronze star and the other a silver. I'm sure that you already know what the different coloured stars signifies though. The seven medal set is the best... All medals awarded to Corporal Felix Bodin of 48 regiment of artillery, he was in charge of trench mortars. Two citations for his bravery at Verdun, and what he did really was brave too. In 1917 the regiment moved to the Rheims sector where he was badly wounded at a stretch of fortified canal known as: 'The Cavaliers of Courcy.' I have just purchased (off ebay) a framed 1914-1917 Croix de Guerre in oak frame, correctly suspended on bar - and with a photo of the recipient. Pictures will be posted once I get it.

Cheers,
    Steve.

French framed group of 4 WW1 medalsFrench framed group of 4 WW1 medals
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 03-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.

?

Hello Tony

I think we have find your "man" !!
    thanks to the french medal forum members !!!

Houziaux Bruno Auguste born in 1892
    He was in several regiment, in particular Artillery
    Archinoë -

cordially
    Didier

Wow Didier, that's awesome! Have some studying and translating to do!
    A big thanks to all the French medal forum members - and to you!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast