Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grandad's Medals

Article about: Hello all, I've been trying to find out more about what my late Grandad done during the war. He died in 1997 aged 75. All I know is he was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery, and based on Gibra

Default Grandad's Medals

Hello all,

I've been trying to find out more about what my late Grandad done during the war. He died in 1997 aged 75. All I know is he was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery, and based on Gibralta for a period of time.

My dad says he didn't really talk much about his time in the army, apart from the odd story here and there (mainly humourous ones)

One involved grandad opening his AA Gun on incoming American aircraft. He wasn't a fan of 'the Yanks' (sorry guys), and Dad tells me he always used to laugh uncontrolably when telling this story.

Anyway, one evening the Americans were coming in, and unfortunatly for them, they got the light signal slightly wrong! Although grandad and his mates knew they were American aircraft, they opened up on them anyway! Obviously they didn't intend on shooting them down.... they just thought it'd be funny to frighten the living daylight out of them! Grandad said they dropped their wing, and scarpered! Much to the British lads merryment!

Anyway, I've applied for Grandads service records to find out a bit more information. Sadly no one in the family knows anything about his medals... nor has anyone ever seen any, which leads me to believe that he didn't request them after the war. I've sent off the appropriate forms to the UK medal office to establish if he did or not.

Being on Gibralta, would he have been awarded the Africa Star?

I'm also considering looking into Grandads brothers army life. All I know about him is he once stood guard over Rudolph Hess! He never married, or had children so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to obtain his records from the MOD

Default Re: Grandad's Medals

Hi Lee, get your Dad as nearest living next of kin to write to the MOD in both cases. He would be able to ask (pay) for the service records and medals in both cases.

I don't know if service in Gib would count towards an Africa Star.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I don't know if service in Gib would count towards an Africa Star.

Cheers, Ade.
    I'm not sure myself mate! The Africa Star was my first thought, but I've started doubting myself.

I've just found this on Wiki though...

"The Star was awarded for a minimum one day service in an operational area of North Africa between 10 June 1940 and 12 May 1943. The whole of the area between the Suez Canal and the Strait of Gibraltar is included, together with Malta, Abyssinia, Kenya, Sudan, The Solmalilands and Eritrea. The areas not bordering the Mediterranean only qualified for the Africa Star from 10 June 1940 to 27 November 1941."

Hmmm, I'm swaying back now! I suppose the dates he was stationed on the rock will have an implication.

Hi all,

My brilliant Auntie has just brought me a photograph of Nan and Grandad during the war!! I'm thrilled with it

Also, is that an ATS badge on Nan's jacket?

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandad's Medals  

Hi Lee, nice photo.

She is in the ATS: the badge on the breast might be a RAOC badge. Very hard to say for sure as it is a bit blurred. The ATS girls could wear the badge of the Regt or Corps they were seconded to, if the CO gave his permission.

Cheers, Ade.

Not really much use, but just because I've got the scan - some of a RA Gibralter & Italy photo grouping:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandad's Medals  

Hi Lee,
    These might interest you the guns are the W.w.2 battery defence
    on gib, there are more this is myself in the light blue shirt with some mates. We were stationed on gibralatar in 81, your grandad would have known the view in the pics.
    dave.

I have more views of gib, from the top of the rock,

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Lee,
    These might interest you the guns are the W.w.2 battery defence
    on gib, there are more this is myself in the light blue shirt with some mates. We were stationed on gibralatar in 81, your grandad would have known the view in the pics.
    dave.

I have more views of gib, from the top of the rock,
    Cracking pictures Dave! I'd love to see more if you have them.

My Dad went there a couple of years before Grandad died, but he couldn't go up the Rock due to poor visability. He was disapointed because he wanted to take some pictures to show Grandad