Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Grandads Service Medal And Miniature WW2 Medals

Article about: These are my grandads Service and Miniature medals that i was recently given, my uncle has the full size medals so sorry about picture quality of miniatures. I will try an let you know about

Default Grandads Service Medal And Miniature WW2 Medals

These are my grandads Service and Miniature medals that i was recently given, my uncle has the full size medals so sorry about picture quality of miniatures.
    I will try an let you know about his campaign from an interview he done for a magazine in the late 80's

In 1935 my grandad volunteered for India, after a few years there he was moved to Egypt where he lived at the base of the pyramids for a year.
    When WWII broke out he saw action in India, Egypt, Sudan, Eritrea, Abyssinia and Italy with the 4th Indian (red eagles), 8th army. At sometime during the war he was injured and hospitalised for a short time and later rejoined his unit. In 1944 he was told that he was the longest serving soldier abroad and that he had to go home on leave, but he refused and was subsequently arrested and forced to come home on leave but later returned.

When I asked questions about his time during the war he would always try to answer them the best he could and enjoyed talking about things he got up to with his friends during the war.
    The only time I ever saw my grandad cry was when he spoke about his experiences of seeing Belsen Concentration camp.When he described another concentration camp he said that the barbed wire was so thick you couldn't see from one side of the fence to the other, and that inside the graves were huge with posts at one end with a number on it indicating how many bodies were in each one.

Medals left to right: 39-45 Star, Africa star with 8th army bar, Italy Star, France & Germany Star, War Medal.

I hope I haven't bored you all to much,
    Thanks Craig
    Last edited by acer1989; 09-04-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Default Re: Grandads Service Medal And Miniature WW2 Medals

Great family history, and nice medals.
    I hope you keep them in the family !

Do you know when he was given the National Service Medal ?
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Craig, not boring at all. Thanks for showing them and telling his story.

The National Service Medal is not an official award: these can be purchased.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the reply's, the medals will definitely be kept in the family.

Hi Craig,

Medals too shiny... Did you shine these?

No didn't shine them but took pictures with flash so that could explain the the amount of shine. Also as they're miniatures they have been kept wrapped in cotton wool for as long as I can remember.

Thanks Craig