Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Great Grandfathers medals

Article about: G'day gents, Its been quite some time since ive posted something new. Here are 2 medals recently sent from London to Australia by my grandfather, they belonged to my great grandfather who se

Default Great Grandfathers medals

G'day gents,

Its been quite some time since ive posted something new.

Here are 2 medals recently sent from London to Australia by my grandfather, they belonged to my great grandfather who served during ww2, exactly where and for how long i do not yet know but i do know there are many other medals and relics that belonged to him including a few knives, bayonets, a helmet and a P-08 Luger .

The Defence Medal and War Medal 1939-45

Cheers-

D.L

Default Re: Great Grandfathers medals

Very nice and very special Mate
    Are they engraved on the edges with his Name, Do they say what group he served with.
    Cheers Mick

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    Very nice and very special Mate
    Are they engraved on the edges with his Name, Do they say what group he served with.
    Cheers Mick

Hey Mick,

Im from Brissie too

No, no engravings on these, i need to phone my grandparents in London to find out more about The man behind the medals, ive never met him as i was very young when he passed. Turns out another of my relatives, my dads uncle served in the war too as well as my grandad who was an MP which i never knew.

Ill update this thread again once i have more info/

Cheers-

D.L

4md
    ?

very nice, hopefully you can find out more info, it would be great to see the history behind them

regards Paul

Finally updating this thread with some more info.

These are my great uncle Fred's medals, all my Grandad knows about Fred is that he was in the RAF and stationed in Gibralter during the war, he was believed to be an MP, My grandad will soon be sending over Fred's personal effects, letters, documents etc.

They are also looking for My great grandfathers medals. Seems quite a few of my relatives on my fathers side served during the war.

On my mothers side, her dad was sent to wales as a child (10 yrs) as the war started, he spent 3 years in the mines.
    He enlisted to the royal armoured corps in London on the 3rd of February 1949. Army No.22272947 Group No. 4903
    . Date of discharge 16th of march 1949, Rank. PTE.

We also have 2 of his certificates of service which state he also served in the Army emergency Res until 1954 and the other states his discharge from the Royal artillery corps on the 1st of December 1960, his service being no longer required.

When i get my great grandfathers medals i'll post them here rather than start another thread.

Cheers-

D.L

Congratulations Darren!
    It is always special when we know the person that earned the medals we receive. I am sure that these will become a very special part of your collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The box would seem to indicate service with the RAF rather then the army, assuming the box is the one those medals came in (looks the right size).