Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award

Article about: Hello All, not really being a collector of Allied memorabilia this badge came with a bundle of German items from an old veterans family. It is the award that was given to all ranks of the 3r

These two still have the original lugs. For reasons of my own I prefer not to show the reverse of these badges as they would only assist the forgers in their dark art.

All the best
    Doug

Hello Doug, i can understand that you prefer not to show the reverse of your badges.
    I found published the following badge from a catalog by Frattis auctions, Athens Greece December 2015, estimated price 300-400 euros or usd335-usd450 (sorry for the bad photo, i copied it from a pdf file but you can see the lug). I upload 3 more photos from the 3rd Greek Mountain Brigade and Greek Army in north Africa before the 3rd Brigade generation.
    edit: 1 more citation.
    Regards, Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award   Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  

Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award   Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  

More good pictures Aghs.
    Interesting picture from the auction catalogue that again shows the replacement fixings that have been applied to replace the failed original flat bronze prongs.

I think the 3rd picture is part of the LRDG/SAS in their pink panthers though rather than the Greek soldiers that served in the desert.

All the best
    Doug

Doug, surely the 3rd photo is from Long Range Desert Group. The info from a web page was wrong, sorry.
    Some more photos from the Brigade, the Rimini monument, Thr. Tsakalotos and Brigadier general Artem. Kolomvakis wearing the badge. As i can remember, 8 years ago there was a book published about the 3rd Brigade. If i will trace it in the future and find out that it has more interesting photos i will let you know.
    Regards, Aghs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award   Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  

Attached Images Attached Images Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award  Greek 3rd Mountain Brigade Award 

Great stuff Aghs.
    So the number of pictures available on the net depicting the badge must have increased considerably since the start of the thread.

If you do find any information about the Brigade I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

All the best
    Doug

Wow.Great photos!!!

I will revive the old thread with the following badge that i saw on ebay from a Greek seller.
    GREEK RIMINI BADGE OF THE THIRD GREEK MOUNTAIN BRIGADE 1944 / ORIGINAL & RARE

That is a nice original badge Aghs.
    You can see on the reverse a similar mounting system to two of the original examples are that I posted earlier that had lost their original blade mounts.

All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello Aghs,
    thank you for showing the citation and your badge.
    The badge you have does look very similar but I do note a weakness in some of the detail but this could be due to some polishing.
    I am not an expert on Greek badges by any means but my belief (and it is only my opinion) is there would only be one original style of badge.

I have seen some very reasonable copies of this badge.
    One of the reproductions I have seen is being sold out of Greece and appears to be a near perfect example of both yours and mine.
    I have asked the store owner if he could send a picture of the back of the badge so we can have a look at the pin detail.

I will try to post some pictures of badges that in my opinion are later copies of the badge due to the fact they seem to lack a considerable amount of detail.

Is that you (dimbot) over on the British badge Forum that posted a part picture of the citation you have above?

Anyway posted by the same member two pictures of the badge both are two different variants to the one I show and your example.
    I really think that of these two badges the lack of detail shows that they may be later variations?

Attachment 955412Attachment 955411

Below is an example that was sold in 2015 at Sotheby's auction.

Attachment 955413

Again this looks like a different variation making 4 now!

All the best
    Doug
    Hi everyone I am owner of the badge shown in the tunic. I will my badge saying that although it bears some differences compared to the other originals shown here, it has a significant difference in terms of material. It is made of silver and is gold plated, I don't think that anyone would make a copy out of precious metals especially for a badge that is little known beyond Greek collectors.

That's great Giorgos,
    Any chance of seeing some pictures of the badge?

All the best
    Doug

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast