Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help neede with DSO group

Article about: I need to tap into the knowledge of the group. I have the privilege of acquiring the DSO group attached. The provenance is great, from the family, but I noticed the crown on the DSO is crook

Default Help neede with DSO group

I need to tap into the knowledge of the group. I have the privilege of acquiring the DSO group attached. The provenance is great, from the family, but I noticed the crown on the DSO is crooked. I had a second picture taken to confirm it wasn't camera angle, but looks like it isn't. I haven't had them in hand, but could it have been made this way? could it be a repair? Might it be loose?

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance....

In hand inspection highly recommended. I've never seen a crown offset like that. My first thought would be; is it a reproduction?

There is always the possibility that the crown has become loose and will straighten up.

It doesn't look too bad to me. The DSO is one of those decorations that were assembled from a number of parts - the Crown was mounted following the enamelling process. I suspect that it has just become slightly loose over the years.

The group looks to have a level of authenticity, with honest wear to the ribbons and a matching set of miniatures. I take it that's a Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal at the end there? Interesting combination with a DSO!

Regards,

Paul

?

I agree with Harry - and couldn’t agree more with Anderson, of course.

By the way, Moonraker, would you mind changing your avatar?
    It’s scaring the bejeezus out of me.

Bob

I have seen similar before. If you look at William Kay’s group in the Manchester Regiment museum you will see a similar thing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help neede with DSO group  

Thanks for the input guys. I picked up this group last week finally and got "hands on". Looks like as suggested the red background and the crown have come loose behind the laurel leaves. I noticed once I posted the pictures it was leaning in two different directions in each picture. I spoke with some people and they suggest a dot of clear nail polish near the bottom just to hold it straight.

The DSO group belonged to Lt. Col. Sandford Fleming Smith, and yes, it is a Colonial long service at the end. I'm still working on the family tree, but I believe he is the Godson (possibly the nephew) of Sir Sandford Fleming. I also have the miniature set as well.

In the set was also a 3 medal group, the 1885 Northwest rebellion medal, an 1897 Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee medal, and a Victoria Colonial Auxiliary forces Long Service medal, with the miniatures of those. This set belonged to Francis (Frank) Andrew Fleming, oldest son of Sir Sandford.

They were both with the GGBG's, and that brings me to my next call for help. I received a GGBG insignia with a crown over it as well. There is no mechanical means to attach this pin on the back (it was being held to the board it was on with a paperclip through the crown) and I do not see anywhere on the back of it where there are any lugs or pins missing. Would this have been a private purchase?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    By the way, Moonraker, would you mind changing your avatar?
    It’s scaring the bejeezus out of me.

Bob
    Done - don't like to upset the Membership

Quote by Moonraker View Post
    Done - don't like to upset the Membership
    Hey ya didn't really have to! each to their own.

?

I was only kidding!
    (But I’m still glad you did it... that’s one freaky image)!

Apologies for going off-topic.
    Cheers,
    Bob