Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with a British ww1 War medal with just a name

Article about: British ww1 War medal with just a name E Scovell on it no rank ,Regt or number , Would this be a medal awarded to a Policeman or someone on the home front ? Thank you for any help

Default Help needed with a British ww1 War medal with just a name

British ww1 War medal with just a name E Scovell on it no rank ,Regt or number , Would this be a medal awarded to a Policeman or someone on the home front ? Thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with a British ww1 War medal with just a name   Help needed with a British ww1 War medal with just a name  

Civilians could indeed be awarded these

Quote by kradman View Post
    British ww1 War medal with just a name E Scovell on it no rank ,Regt or number , Would this be a medal awarded to a Policeman or someone on the home front ? Thank you for any help
    The BWM was not awarded for Home Front Service, with some minor exceptions for Royal Navy personnel as recipients had to have served in a war zone.

Typically, naming with an initial and surname would be Mercantile Marine but I cannot find him/her listed so there is also the possibility the recipient was an agent.

Can you post a photo of the naming?

sorry sold it some time ago

?

Hi sorry I’m late to this thread. In case you are still interested, if the medal was awarded to Merchant Navy then the naming would be full first name and surname, not a first name initial. Looking at the medal rolls on Ancestry I believe this medal was awarded to Ela Scovell. She was a Nurse with the British Committee of the French Red Cross and served in France. A quick google search shows she served at the Hôpital Temporaire d’Arc-en-Barrois, Haute-Marne, France.

I have a similarly named (initial and surname) medal also awarded to a nurse who served with the British Committee of the French Red Cross.

Thank you for your reply always inteesting to find out who had won it

Picked up another one named the same this time to a M Lee would this also be a nurse ?