Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with medals

Article about: Picked up these medals to 5931183 C/SJT WH Dixon , The British Empire medal has the same name on it but is CQMS , I have found out that that he won that medal in 1944 when he was Company Qua

Default Help needed with medals

Picked up these medals to 5931183 C/SJT WH Dixon , The British Empire medal has the same name on it but is CQMS , I have found out that that he won that medal in 1944 when he was Company Quartermaster Sergeant Wilfred Herbert Dixon, The Suffolk Regiment, The TA medal is mark Para as his unit but i can't find when he became a Para , Any help would be good thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with medals  

Does anyone know where I could find has service record ? Thank you for any help

Nice medal group. I believe you would have to be next of kin or at least a family member to get his service records from the MOD.

?

Hard one this... I would presume he was demobbed out of the Suffolk Regiment after the war!!!.. & joined the TA Paras. The award criteria for the Efficiency medal can be found on Wiki!!..I read it couldn't make head or tail lol..Sorry not much help, His rank CQMS would have him working in the stores for one of the companies (100 man fighting unit) so doing some sterling work there or stocking the officers mess with good brandy lol. But you have a cracking group there. I have my eye on a woman's BEM group myself. BEM, War medal & Defence Medal. Cheers Terry.

His recommendation for the award of the BEM is in the National Archives and can be obtained here - Recommendation for Award for Dixon, Wilfred Herbert Rank: Company Quarter Master... | The National Archives
    You can obtain a service record from Army Records, Glasgow if you can prove that he has been dead for 25 years.
    Steve

A most interesting group you have there! His number indicates that he originally enlisted in the Cambridgeshire Regiment, which was a purely territorial regiment at that time. As Steve kindly gave a link for the BEM, I would heartedly recommend you get the citation for it.

Regarding his Efficiency Medal, what is the exact naming on it, and I can't quite make out if it is the earlier IND-IMP or FID-DEF obverse?

Regards,

Paul

?

Hi Kradman, I'd be interested to talk to you about this medal group, drop me a line.
    Cheers
    Cambs