Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Needed With Northern Ireland General Service Medal

Article about: Just wondering if anyone can help out with finding the enlistment date of the recipient of the Northern Ireland CSM i have. The impressed details around the rim are as follows: ''MNE J.McVEI

Default Help Needed With Northern Ireland General Service Medal

Just wondering if anyone can help out with finding the enlistment date of the recipient of the Northern Ireland CSM i have. The impressed details around the rim are as follows: ''MNE J.McVEIGH P035959Y RM''. I know J.McVeigh was a Royal Marine but do any of the numbers indicate his date of enlistment? Would love to have some ideas from any of the experts on the forum. Regards, Tim.

Default re: Help Needed With Northern Ireland General Service Medal

Hi Tim, no sorry, his serial number will not tell you when he enlisted. The P designated a Royal Marine, Other Ranks.

The only hope would be for someone to come forwards who was a RM and for them, with a known enlistment date, to compare numbers. This might give you a rough idea.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tim, no sorry, his serial number will not tell you when he enlisted. The P designated a Royal Marine, Other Ranks.

The only hope would be for someone to come forwards who was a RM and for them, with a known enlistment date, to compare numbers. This might give you a rough idea.

Cheers, Ade.
    Cheers for that Ade as your input is allways appreciated. Have a few ideas in the pipeline inc writing to the Royal Marines Museum who might be able to help out. Regards, Tim.

kc1
    ?

Try a post on the British Medal Forum.
    I think the P refers to a Plymouth enlistment, older medals can have Chatham as place of enlistment.

If someone is a ex RM, they may know roughly his enlistment intake from his Service number, example my old number started F821, that era enlisted in 1983, lets hope you have a bit of luck!
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    If someone is a ex RM, they may know roughly his enlistment intake from his Service number, example my old number started F821, that era enlisted in 1983, lets hope you have a bit of luck!

Thanks for the input guys! Next step will be to find out if this recipient is on the South Atlantic medal roll. Regards, Tim.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Next step will be to find out if this recipient is on the South Atlantic medal roll. Regards, Tim.
    Here's a couple of Campaign Service Medal items i have in my collection. The first is the CSM with clasp "Northern Ireland" to the Royal Marine J.McVeigh and the second is a UN Cyrpus and CSM with clasp "Northern Ireland" pair to a R.E.M.E. I have just recently purchased another CSM "Northern Ireland" to a medic/ ambulance driver who served with the 3rd Royal Green Jackets in Northern Ireland in 1974. The recipient is Victor Buckingham and he left his daughter in charge of selling his medal while away on holiday over the weekend. The best thing of all with this purchase is that Vics daughter Tracie scanned and sent 9 really good photos of her father Vic during his service in N.I including one many will regard as the classic kind of war image showing Vic kneeling down with rifle in hand posing with a child, its just a fantastic image and while you come across many of these CSM medals its painfully rare to get the full details of the mans service and a pile of photos to go with it so this is one CSM medal im really pleased to own. Another point is the Northern Ireland thing itself-so often referred to as "the troubles" or "Security Operation". It was a war and when you look at the casualty figures for the British Army and then the civilian casualties as a result of the IRA attacks in N.I and on the UK mainland you realise. Operation Banner the name given to the campaign in N.I was the longest operation in the history of the British Army. It certainly would be a worthy endevour to attempt to collect CMS's representing all of the British Army units who served there from 1969 to 2007. The N.I CSM i have that belonged to Vic Buckingham with the photos and the information of service etc for me has more appeal than a dozen genuine but anonymous gallantry medals and im looking forward to chatting with Vic on the phone when he returns from his holiday as theres a lot of questions id like to ask about his service in N.I. Regards, Tim.

?

Try the Northern Ireland Veterans Association .

Plus Forces reunited he might be on there or Sea Hats reunited if they have such a thing !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

PO number prefixes to RN/RM medals = Portsmouth enlistments.

A polite request on the "Once A Marine.." website may yield further information as may "Forces Reunited" mentioned above.

If I may be pedantic for a moment....there is no such medal as a CSM, it is the General Service Medal 1962-2007. The erroneous "CSM" titling comes from the "For Campaign Service" wording on the medal's reverse. I know, very anal.....

Default Re: Help Needed With Northern Ireland General Service Medal

I have edited the thread title. I am anal too......

Cheers, Ade.