Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

History Lost Almost - Part 2

Article about: As promised here is the second grouping that was almost lost. I purchased this large grouping at an estate auction where once again the family had no desire to save some family history. When

?

Default History Lost Almost - Part 2

As promised here is the second grouping that was almost lost. I purchased this large grouping at an estate auction where once again the family had no desire to save some family history. When the auction finally got to these items the auctioneer was selling it piece by piece and I thought “great, now I’ve got to win every bid if I want to keep this group together”. But as luck would have it after a few minutes of this he decided to sell everything as one lot. And yes, up to this point I did manage to purchase everything that belonged with this group. So for one final bid I was the new caretaker of a foot locker full of WW2 USMC uniforms and other items belonging to………………………………

1st Lt. Lyman Earl “Dutch” Reifsnyder Co I 3rd Bn 24th Marines 4th Mar. Div.

Reifsnyder was a student at Millersville College where he was studying to become a school teacher and was a stand out basketball player (he still holds several school records) when he decided to enlist in the Marines on 25 May 1942. He was honorably discharged on 30 Oct. 1942 to accept appointment as a 2nd Lt., was promoted to 1st Lt. on 8 March 1944.
    Lt. Reifsnyder participated in the following actions against enemy Japanese forces. Roi-Namur, Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands Feb. 1-8 1944 and at Saipan, Marianas Islands June 15-18 1944.
    Reifsnyder was KIA June 18th 1944 at the age of 24

After some research from the USMC records division and conversing with some 4th Div. Marine Veterans I was able to find someone who was with Reifsnyder when he was killed. He stated that “Dutch” was very well liked and was a leader they would have followed anywhere and they were severely grieved when he was killed. (From here read the Silver Star Citation, the photo below this text) Reifsnyder was shot through the neck and as hard they tried they couldn’t stop the bleeding and in a matter of minutes he was gone. His remains were picked up three days later and buried on the island. I have included in the pics 3 different grave site photos. First is the original burial, second is after things were cleaned up and a new marker provided and the third is where he rests now. He is in a cemetery just a few miles from where I live. His mother requested on 8-30-1947 that her son be returned to his home for burial.

1st Lt. Reifsnyder was posthumously awarded the Silver Star and Purple Heart.

Among the items I now have is a photo album full of his personal photos including many combat photos and a few souvenirs he picked up along the way.

With the exception of the unit citation award I have added the ribbons to Reifsnyder's uniform as obviously he could not. He earned them and I thought they should be on there.

Josey

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Default Re: History Lost Almost - Part 2

Hi Josey, another fantastic group. I am really pleased you have saved it all together and now his memory will also be preserved via the forum.

Well done.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: History Lost Almost - Part 2

Great pick-up Josey and brilliant to see that it will now be all kept together.

Regards etc
    Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy