Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to Identify the Recipient of this Presidential Medal for Merit

Article about: Recently I was given a Presidential Medal for Merit, and am trying to determine the original recipient of it. From what I understand, this medal was given to people who were pivotal in winni

Lightbulb How to Identify the Recipient of this Presidential Medal for Merit

Recently I was given a Presidential Medal for Merit, and am trying to determine the original recipient of it.

From what I understand, this medal was given to people who were pivotal in winning the war for the allies. Here is its wikipedia page : Presidential Medal for Merit.

Unfortunately I don't have any documentation or history for this except for my friend's uncle had prior possession of it, and that he lived in Florida at the time.

Does anyone know what the best way would be to try and find out who owned this medal?

Thank You

]

duke
    ?

Default Re: How to Identify the Recipient of this Presidential Medal for Merit

Hi: I'm afraid that I won't be of much help in answering your query. I have one that I think is a fake. Are there any makers marks on your medal which may help you identify when it was issued? Also, were there different issues? Check out the OSMA Forums - interestingly under their picture it reads '1940's issue'. I can't seem to find out much info on this medal other than it's history. Best of luck, Duke.

Quote by duke View Post
    Hi: I'm afraid that I won't be of much help in answering your query. I have one that I think is a fake. Are there any makers marks on your medal which may help you identify when it was issued? Also, were there different issues? Check out the OSMA Forums - interestingly under their picture it reads '1940's issue'. I can't seem to find out much info on this medal other than it's history. Best of luck, Duke.
    Hi Duke thank you for your response.

There are no maker marks on the medal. I believe that there was one version of these medals released, but I have seen others that have slightly different colored ribbons. Here is a link to the Smithsonian collections database. From what I have researched, I believe these may be replacement ribbons, or that they really are all the same color, and it depends on the lighting conditions when the photo was taken.

In regards to the OMSA database, I am not sure why they have 3 different versions to the medal for merit, two of which are completely fake, except for the 1940s version, on their site which looks exactly like mine.

Here are the 3 medals that they have.
    Presidential Medal of Merit - 1940's Issue - The OMSA Medal Database
    Medal for Merit - The OMSA Medal Database
    http://www.omsa.org/photopost/data/8..._of_medals.jpg

I fixed the links to the pictures of the front and back of my medal as the original links changed.

What does your medal look like?

duke
    ?

Dear awmartin:
    I've looked at all the photos as closely as I'm able & your PMM is genuine. It is identical to the ones at the Smithsonian & the OMSA 1940 issue. On the other hand, mine & the 2 others on OMSA are truly fakes. Not only are they crudely crafted but the designs are grossly flawed & they also have the wrong clasps. The only differences between mine & the other fakes is; mine has the right clasp & ribbon & oddly mine also has a maker's mark on the edge at 7 o'clock, (J.H.) You're right, it's interesting that OMSA would put 2 other versions on their website??? However, this doesn't help you. Unless you can trace the history thru your friend I think it's going to be difficult without any engraving, numbers or marks to link it to a name. Maybe someone else can be of more help. It's been fun & a learning experience. Take care, regards Ron.