Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals

Article about: Hello Everyone I am fairly new to the site and have a new lot I have added to my collection and was looking for any helpful information on these items and the person they were issued to. Tha

Default Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals

Hello Everyone I am fairly new to the site and have a new lot I have added to my collection and was looking for any helpful information on these items and the person they were issued to. Thanks in advance to any replies !

His name was Forest E Hignett I have not been able to find any info on him. I have a few other items but did not want to ake to long of a post
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals   Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals  

Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals   Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals  

Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals   Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals  

?

Great pick ups! I can tell you that this man was a Rotarian! The medallion with the blue and gold ribbon that allows the medal to be worn around the neck is a Paul Harris Fellow medal. These are given to Rotarians who donate $1,000 plus dollars to Rotary International. Not militaria related, I know, but I work for Rotary supply company, so I figured I would share.

This man served in the Aviation Branch in the Asian Theater of War....I see China-Burma-India (CBI) Insignia, and what appears to be a Cased Nationalist Chinese Medal...That ought to be a rare one...I see a Legion of Merit Award...This grouping -the man and the awards both- deserves researching...Very nice find!
    cheers, Gllenn

Thank You for that information! I will post more of this lot in a day or so !

Robert

Thanks Gllenn, there was some business cards in this lot too that has his name and says he was a colonel. most every one of the medals also have his name engraved on backs. I am eager to learn more about him and his service !

Robert

I like the little Japanese cased ink stamp. A nice item. The red ribbon with the white edge stripes is a Legion of Merit medal for the American Legion veterans organization. The cased medal with the green and white striped ribbon is an American Military Merit military medal. The blue and gold ribboned cased medal is a Air Force Commendation Medal which werent issued until after 1958, so these medals are from all over a considerable span of time.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes I believe he was in service for a good amount of time for i also have an ammo belt and holster that came from this same find. I am not certain all this is from him actually because i was told some may have been an uncle of his. But that would probably make his uncles items more of a ww1 era. I am not a super experienced collector so i will have to take time to research and separate them to have a better idea of whats his. although alot of the medals do have his name engraved Thanks for your knowledge oh btw any idea what the stamp is..i have a feeling it is made of ivory but not sure on that either lol

Robert

Just quickly sniffing around, I found this entry in the U.S., Select Military Registers, 1862-1985. It seems he was a career military man. Born May 6,1916 in Adel, Iowa, he died in 1996 on Dec 24 on Christmas Eve. He's buried in Riverside National Cemetery Section 56a Site 121 in Riverside California. His entry states that he was a Lt Colonel in the US Air Force in WWII,Korea and Viet Nam.
    Huge Medal Find and looking for info on person/medals
    William

List of Military Organizations With Which Applicant Served in WWII:
    37th Air Base,Group Will Rogers Airfield Oklahoma 1st Composite Squadron, Key Field Mississippi. Composite Force 8012, APO 877 %PM N. Y., N. Y. 4th Sub Depot Amarillo Texas 3710st Air Base Unit Amarillo,Texas.

Date of Departure for Foreign Service July 25,1942 Date of Return from Foreign Service Sept 16,1943. Date of Active Duty April 1,1941 Oklahoma City,OK

This was assembled as his application for WWII Compensation. Dated Sept 19,1949 at the Headquarters of the 347th Maintenance and Supply Group APO 75 Muscatine,Iowa.
    William

Wow.. That is some very great research !!! I do appreciate that and is a huge help. He was a busy man and served his country well.I am anxious to find out more now. Do you know of a site that gives details of him or his groups actions ? I hope this isnt a bother because it sure is making me happy i came back here today

Thanks William
    Robert

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast