MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I found a WWI Distinguished Service Cross Medal Of Valor !!

Article about: Hello there folks! Recently I came upon a WWI DSC at a local auction and I just had to buy it. On the reverse it is engraved with the soldier's initials "JBM" and the year it was p

Default I found a WWI Distinguished Service Cross Medal Of Valor !!

Hello there folks!
    Recently I came upon a WWI DSC at a local auction and I just had to buy it.
    On the reverse it is engraved with the soldier's initials "JBM" and the year it was presented to him "8-17-18"

I see newer medals retailing for about $50 or so, I was wondering what a fair price is to ask for this? I've got a potential buyer asking me for a price and I don't have a clue where to start.

I would love to see it go to a true collector and someone who can appreciate it more than I.

I will have pictures posted tomorrow!

Thank you for your input and time.

?

Welcome to the forum.
    Look forward to pics....

Quote by Scout View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    Look forward to pics....
    Got access to the pictures sooner than I thought
    Here they are

I found a WWI Distinguished Service Cross Medal Of Valor !!I found a WWI Distinguished Service Cross Medal Of Valor !!

sorry for the sideways pictures..

Does it have the recipients number on the side of it? There are many fakes of these medals. A tough medal to find-only 6,309 were ever awarded in WWI. Ballpark figure is at least a Minuimum of $3000 and up. Depends on the recipient, if they are some one known. They can Easily double the 3 grand. Some collectors have looked for Years for one of these...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Does it have the recipients number on the side of it? There are many fakes of these medals. A tough medal to find-only 6,309 were ever awarded in WWI. Ballpark figure is at least a Minuimum of $3000 and up. Depends on the recipient, if they are some one known. They can Easily double the 3 grand. Some collectors have looked for Years for one of these...
    Did you just say a minimum of $3,000!???!???
    Yes, the number "266" is present on the side of the piece, how can i use this number to determine who it belonged too? Also, how can I tell whether or not it is genuine ? Are you able to tell based on the photos I've provided? Thanks

You should check out this website. They will do a track on your medals number and be able to tell you who it belonged to and for what. They charge $5. Traceable Medal Numbers

Another place you should get in touch with is the US Militaria Forum. Read through their discussions on the DSC's of WWI. You might want to join and ask them about your medal. US MILITARIA COLLECTORS FORUM
    William

You should check out this website. They will do a track on your medals number and be able to tell you who it belonged to and for what. They charge $5. Traceable Medal Numbers

Another place you should get in touch with is the US Militaria Forum. Read through their discussions on the DSC's of WWI. You might want to join and ask them about your medal. US MILITARIA COLLECTORS FORUM
    Thank you for this information. I contacted the man in charge if tracing the medal number and am currently waiting for his response.

(I will be sure to post any info he gives me to this thread)

As for the forum, for some reason it's giving me a very difficult time to create an account.. Their security question seems to be off. Oh well i'll keep trying.
    Meanwhile, do you happen to have the email addresses of anyone on that forum who may be able to help me with the DSC?

Sorry, can't help you with the emails, as I don't correspond with anyone there. But the threads on the DSC's should at least give you some sort of idea about them, in any case! Good luck-it should be interesting to hear who this medal was awarded to!
    William

GOOD NEWS!!

The medal was issued to 1st Lt. Josiah B. Mudge, 6th Infantry Regiment. Valor awards for Josiah B. Mudge

Sorry, can't help you with the emails, as I don't correspond with anyone there. But the threads on the DSC's should at least give you some sort of idea about them, in any case! Good luck-it should be interesting to hear who this medal was awarded to!
    My posts don't seem to be going through..

The Medal belonged to Josiah B Mudge, 1st Lieutenant.

Here is a link with more information: Valor awards for Josiah B. Mudge

I'm very happy, thank you for helping me out Wargiff!

I wonder if this has an effect to the value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast