Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medal Group with Legion of Merit

Article about: Hello Sir, I purchased this today at a local flea market. The Purple Heart, Legion of Merit, and Army Commendation are named to Carlos F. Reynolds. Apparently he was with the 4th Armored Div

Default Medal Group with Legion of Merit

Hello Sirs,

I purchased this today at a local flea market. The Purple Heart, Legion of Merit, and Army Commendation are named to Carlos F. Reynolds. Apparently he was with the 4th Armored Division. I have never had much success with research but I will try my best to gather information on Mr. Reynolds.

This group came in a glass frame however I removed it from the frame for the pictures.

If anyone has the skills and time to gather some information for me it would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much.
    Best,
    Rob

Sorry for the terrible pictures..

that's a very nice group.

Rob, you have picked up a nice set of WWII ETO medals of a man who also served in Korea. I can tell you one thing, the medal shown in the lower right corner with the blue and yellow striped ribbon is a fairly rare Luxembourg Croix de Guerre (war cross). Here is a little history of that medal: The Cross was instituted on 17 April 1945 to be awarded to members of the Luxembourg military and to members of the armed Resistance who had resisted German occupation and fought for the liberation of Luxembourg. German forces invaded neutral Luxembourg on 10 May 1940. The Luxembourg army consisted of a small corps of volunteers and the overwhelming German forces occupied the small country by the end of that day. Liberation came in September 1944, 57 members of the Resistance having lost their lives during the occupation.

I also like the hand engraved Army Commendation medal, very nice! The ribbon rack is custom made by wrapping colored thread around a metal strip or just sewn through the backing fabric. Another nice item!

Best of luck searching the history of this decorated soldier! Bob

Thank you very much for the information on the Luxembourg Croix de Guerre Bob. I was wondering what that medal was and my initial thought was that it was British. So of course now I wonder how he ended up with it..?

A little more info on the cross: " Luxembourg bestowed the War Cross on both Luxembourg citizens and members of the Allied Forces for acts of particular bravery or valor during the Liberation of Luxembourg. The War Cross could also be awarded to military units. The Luxembourg War Cross was one of the rarest foreign decorations bestowed on allied troops due to the small number of combat operations that took place in Luxembourg—in contrast to major fighting in places like Belgium, France, and Germany."

Best,
    Rob

MAP
    ?

Fantastic grouping!!! While a common first and last name, the combination as well as the middle initial should help narrow it down. Obviously a Google search would be worth a shot as well as the NARA database.

But this should help quite a bit. He was a Colonel in the US army. Born in 1907, Died in 1977 and had no children. Lived in Jefferson County NY. So during WW2, he was no youngster.

Carlos F Reynolds (1907 - 1977) - Find A Grave Memorial

hope this is a good start for you.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Also....

NNY Genealogy - Burial Detail for Carlos F Reynolds

not much more here but does confirm he seven in WW2 and Korea....so certain this is your man
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you very much for the additional information MAP..

Best,
    Rob

?

Outstanding medal grouping to an Armored soldier.