Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England

Article about: Hello . I was wondering you anyone is able help identify these metals / medal ribbons for me. I have recently acquired a number of items owned by the late Lt.Col James Dean RA DSO, MBE, DCM

Smile Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England

Hello .

I was wondering you anyone is able help identify these metals / medal ribbons for me.

I have recently acquired a number of items owned by the late Lt.Col James Dean RA DSO, MBE, DCM (74th Northumbria Field Artillery / 125th Anti-Tank Regiment 'Sunderland's Own'.. He was based in Sunderland during WW2 and was Officer Commanding of the 125th Anti-Tank Regiment that sailed from Bombay to Singapore around 1941/42. The ship was called the 'Empress of Asia' that famously got hit by Japanese air-raid some 6 miles from the shores of Singapore - Resulting in no equipment and little resources the regiment were soon within the hands of Japanese and sent to POW camps to be used as forced labour on projects such as the Siam–Burma Death Railwayi etc.

J.Dean lived to tell the tale and I have a number of books that include his name. Including 'A History of Sunderland's Own 125th Anti-Tank Regiment' By Alan Burns (Local Historian) - As well as a vast array of personal belongings such as uniform, hats, boots, trunk, suitcase, leather bag, buttons, dinner suits, photographs, boxing metals, insignia, framed family photographs & more. Sadly I've been unable to make any contact with family members post acquiring . I'm sure with a little more research I may be able to dig a little deeper.

Uniform / Metals.

I added an image of the uniform of Lt.Col Dean to Instagram and a young gentleman who worked at the Sunderland Museum contacted me asking if I was a relation - I explained my side of the story and he then went on to inform me that his metals were on show at the museum. (Image Below) On that note I feel obliged to find out as much as I can. I'm quite new to the 'militaria' game hence posting for advice. I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

I look forward to hearing back. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I do have another section of medal ribbons here that are loose and not fixed to the dress jacket - I will try and get an image uploaded of those as soon as I can.

All the best, Gillan.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England   Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England  

Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England   Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England  

Further metals / ribbon bars. Sorry about the poor quality.

Regards, Gillan.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England   Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England  

Metals awarded to Lt.Col J.Dean RA MBE DSO DCM - Can you identify ? Singapore / India WW2 British POW 125th Anti-Tank Regiment / 74th Northumbria Field Artillery Sunderland England  

- It has come to my attention while comparing that they actually match , suggesting they were perhaps used on another uniform ?

?

Gillian, I think Google can help here. Try searching something like: British medal ribbons chart/guide, and you should be able to go down the lists and pick out the ones you have. This will also provide you with an opportunity to learn about medals. Get back to us if you are stuck.
    Yes, the Colonel would have had two or three uniforms requiring that number of ribbon sets.
    The miniatures are not too expensive to purchase and you could try completing the set as a tribute to the man.

Oz.

Thanks, Oz!

I will give Google a try. As for the miniatures it may be something I can look at in the near future as I'm not planning on parting with items just yet. All the best from not so hot England and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards, Gil

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Brill - Thanks Adrian !

My pleasure.

Officers would have had multiple uniforms and often had extra spare ribbon bars.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

If anyone would care to see the other items I have, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

All the best,

Gillan

Fenham
    ?

Hi
    You have just made my day and I cannot express how excited I am.
    I would very much like to contact you via email but have just registered so that I can contact you in the first place and am not sure how to go about it.

You have just placed items up that we all thought had gone forever, did you buy them at an auction in Newcastle by any chance. Lt Col James Dean was my Great Uncle Jim, I can confirm this privately with you but don't want to put it up for public view.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast