Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Greek Medals

Article about: very good.well done

Default My Greek Medals

Hi guys just sharing my collection of Greek medals (so far )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Greek Medals  
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Default Re: My Greek Medals

The 1940 War Cross

Instituted in 3 classes on 11 November 1940. The 1940 war cross was awarded for acts of bravery in action. It was awarded to officers, NCOs and men of all military services alike. The cross is surmounted by a gilt, silver or bronze crown to denote its particular class. A small crown, either gilt, silver gilt or bronze, according to the Class of Cross, was added to the ribbon for each subsequent award (or, mention in the Order of the Day) to the same person.

Until 1942, the first award could be in any of the three classes, after that by enforced law, the first award and the subsequent ones (to the same person) were always of the 3rd Class.
    In case of more awards, up to three, the War Cross was upgraded to the next higher Class.

The ribbon was of three equal sized stripes the outer two being a dark red the inner dark blue. To the best of my knowledge there are 8 different variants, which can be found by the style of the date 1940 on the reverse and/or by the different style of the crown.

This one is with gold crown thus 1st class.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Greek Medals   My Greek Medals  

My Greek Medals   My Greek Medals  

And the 2nd class
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Greek Medals   My Greek Medals  

COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL OF THE WAR OF 1940-41

In 1946 it was decided to strike a commemorative medal to be awarded to those who served in the armed forces, public security corps and to citizens who offered services to the army during the war between 1940-41.
    The one class medal was struck in bronze and it was conferred in two categories.
    1. To those who offered services to army and air force operations, with the inscription on the reverse: 1940-41 Epeiros - Albania - Macedonia - Thrace - Crete
    2. To those who offered services to naval operations, with the inscription on the reverse: 1940-41 Aegean - Ionian - Myrtoon - Adriatic sea.

My Greek Medals  

MEDAL OF THE GREEK - TURKISH WAR 1912-13

The commemorative medal of the Greek - Turkish war of 1912-13 was established in 1913 and it was struck in 1914.
    it was awarded to men of all armed forces who took part in battles or naval battles or served in commandeering and auxiliary services on battle-sites, and also to civilians, either Greek or foreign subjects, who offered any kind of service to the army during the battles.
    The medal was struck in bronze in one class and was awarded either singularly or together (to those who also took part in the Greek - Bulgarian war 1913) in this way:
    1. To combatants, commanding officers or auxiliaries of all armed forces, the differentiation being the class baring the name of the place of the battle, or naval battle on the ribbon; in case of participation in more than one battle, these were mentioned in chronological order.
    To the wounded the distinction was a clasp with crossed swords placed after the name of the battle where they were injured; and the clasp with a cross was added as distinction on the ribbon for those who had fallen. The medal was conferred to their relatives.
    2. To staff officers or auxiliaries of all armed forces who served not on the battle - site, and civilians without clasps.
    3. To nursing personnel and to private citizens with a different ribbon.
    Both medals of Greek - Turkish war and Greek - Bulgarian war were engraved by G. Iacovides (sculptor 1853-1932).

Quote by Teutonicknights View Post
    Hi Mike, i'm glad you liked them

Very nice medals, Chris! Thanks for showing them.

Regards

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Hi Mike, i'm glad you liked them
    I always like to see something different besides the usual TR items, not that theres anything wrong with them, its a good refresh to see other nationalitys awards as well...

Thanks Ingrid, my pleasure.
    I agree with you Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast