Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My inscribed Purple Heart

Article about: This was Grandad's. I think the inscription was done beautifully, so I thought I would share.

Default My inscribed Purple Heart

This was Grandad's. I think the inscription was done beautifully, so I thought I would share.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My inscribed Purple Heart   My inscribed Purple Heart  

My inscribed Purple Heart   My inscribed Purple Heart  

Default Re: My inscribed Purple Heart

Tell us more about how he received it and where ,great piece.

The engraving has been done privately and it does look nice.

You should be able to find an original ribbon bar and lapel ribbon to complete the set.

Great family piece.

Thanks for sharing.............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Tell us more about how he received it and where ,great piece.
    He served with US Army 102nd Infantry Division. The injury was a shot to the back, somewhere along the Siegfried Line on the Netherlands-Germany border near Linnich. He was doing some scouting or something like that and came across a lone German soldier who was injured and sitting against a tree tending to his wounds. The German appeared to be unarmed so he told him that he was not going to shoot in what little German he knew. Upon leaving his position the German managed to draw a sidearm from his overcoat and shot him in the upper back.

He says to this day that he forgives the German and does not believe what he did was treacherous. Apparently the German soldier was very young, maybe 17 or 18, and he assumes that he was just scared or what have you.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The engraving has been done privately and it does look nice.

You should be able to find an original ribbon bar and lapel ribbon to complete the set.

Great family piece.

Thanks for sharing.............!
    I do indeed have the original ribbon bar though I do not have the lapel ribbon. Perhaps I will find a WWII issue example to complete!

Thanks for the info, I had a feeling the engraving was private--does not look like something the army would do.

Great story ,nice to know how he got it most people do not know how there family menber received them.