Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My medal acquisitions this year pt 1. RCAF DFC

Article about: As it is the year end here are some of my acquisitions this year pt 1 is a rather comprehensive non immediate RCAF DFC group to P/O Butler of Winnipeg (lived not far from my grandparents as

Default My medal acquisitions this year pt 1. RCAF DFC

As it is the year end here are some of my acquisitions this year pt 1 is a rather comprehensive non immediate RCAF DFC group to P/O Butler of Winnipeg (lived not far from my grandparents as it turns out). I was able to get this from aother collector friend.

My medal acquisitions this year pt 1. RCAF DFC

BUTLER, F/O Gordon Douglas (J24616) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.408 Squadron - Award effective 5 February 1945 as per London Gazette dated 16 February 1945 and AFRO 563/45 dated 29 March 1945.

Home in Winnipeg; enlisted there 7 January 1942. Trained at No.2 ITS (graduated 2 November 1942) and No.5 AOS (graduated 19 March 1943).

No citation other than "completed...numerous operations against the enemy in the course of which [he has] invariably displayed the utmost fortitude, courage and devotion to duty." DHist file 181.009 D.3260 (RG.24 Vol.20637) has recommendation of W/C J.F. Easton dated 4 November 1944 when he had flown 30 sorties (133 hours 30 minutes), 9 April to 15 August 1944.

Flying Officer Butler has completed a tour of operations as navigator on four engined bombers in an exemplary manner. He has operated against such heavily defended targets in Germany as Dortmund, Wesselling, Kiel and Stuttgart. At all times he has shown complete disregard for any defences encountered and on more than one occasion when his aircraft was damaged by enemy action, he carried on his extremely skilful navigation undeterred by the fact that his compartment was riddled with flak and cannon fire, directly his aircraft accurately back to base. More recently, on precision targets, Flying Officer Butler has taken his aircraft to the target obtaining aiming point photographs whenever cloud conditions permitted.

Flying Officer Butler, by virtue of his sterling leadership and operational ability, has proven himself a great asset to the squadron. Therefore I recommend that he be awarded a Non-Immediate Distinguished Flying Cross.

CBH
    ?

A very nice group , wishing you great luck collecting in the New Year

Indeed a nice group. Thanks for showing!

Very nice group of awards and provenance. My Grandad won the DFM & DFC, 10 awards in total and completed 126 sorties. My medal acquisitions this year pt 1. RCAF DFC.
    Regards Steve.