Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My Medal Collection

Article about: Additional photos........The last photo is of my most prized medal. That Purple Heart was awarded posthumously to Ssgt Alvin P. Carey whom one year later was awarded the Medal of Honor for t

?

Default Re: My Medal Collection

Additional photos........The last photo is of my most prized medal. That Purple Heart was awarded posthumously to Ssgt Alvin P. Carey whom one year later was awarded the Medal of Honor for the action in which he was killed. I apologize for the glare and reflections on the glass but it was the only way to get the photo without taking the display apart.

Josey

My Medal CollectionMy Medal CollectionMy Medal CollectionMy Medal CollectionMy Medal CollectionMy Medal Collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Medal Collection  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Medal Collection
    P
    Many

Thanks for the photos, Josey. I was not entirely correct in my guesses,
    but I do know that dies were shared by makers, so it is not unusual
    to see non-maker marked pieces.

Original Flight Engineer wings are fairly rare, the Juarez Bombardier is
    not all that common either. The Aircrew wing has me stumped - the
    reverse is not what I normally see - it could be a restrike.

Your US medal collection is fantastic ! Like you mentioned, it takes time
    and dedication to accumulate them, and I can appreciate your
    efforts as well...........
    Regards,

Steve.

Great collection....

?

Hi Josey,
    Thank for posting this medal it is unique ! From memory Somerset county Pa at one time was forming a county CW Vet Association in which Pvt A Spangler lived which could be a possible connection to the origin of this medal. Pvt Abe Spangler Co B and H was also a Veteran Volunteer which entitled him to wear a stripe on his uniform sleeve . Background is always important with a military item like this in which I have on Pvt Abe Spangler since he was a G2 Uncle and I also have a family photo of Abe in uniform. Prince

Josey has been offline for 2 years .... so i think this may fall on deaf ears

?

Oh I am still here. I just have not been doing much in the militaria collecting lately.

Prince,

Abraham Spangler was from Somerset County. I have his two discharge certificates and some other records pertaining to him and his wife Sarah, who was first married to Cpl. Nelson Statler who died from wounds received at Petersburg, VA. I would be very interested in getting a copy of the photo (if different than the one I already have) of Abraham if that would be possible. The photo I have of him in uniform he is standing next to a chair.

Josey

?

Josey,
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry! During the CW Abe and his brother John and five cousins were in co B and co H of the 54th PV , as a family historian I missed the Sarah CW connection in which I will research . We both have the same studio portrait of Abe standing by a chair ,a mention that the average height for my Spangler family in the 54th PV was 5' 4" in which during company formation would be most likley at the end of the line . I'm sure you know that Abe is buried at Union East Cemetery , Stoystown, Somerset co Pa. Abe's grandfather was Daniel M Stoy who was a Rev War Vet in which the town was named after.
    I am sure you understand that this collection has a personal familiy interest to my family. As a member and research historian to a local CW Museum in which our holdings include a large collection of GAR and associated society medals I have never seen a similar medal in which I had mentioned a prior county possible CW association . I would like you to consider some options regarding re connecting Abe's collection back to his family ? My Brother and I would have an interest in an a puchase of Abe's collection to bring it back to the family ? I understand this choice in parting with a collected item back to family members in which I passed recently on my WW2 Jap personal flag collection to a family research group in Japan at my expense. My next suggested option for your consideration is a trade ? I'm not sure what your current interests are ? I would appreciate if you were to retain this collection that you share a copy of the paperwork records collection in which you will be given a reserch credit to our family history.
    (Tom) Prince

?

Tom,
    I sent you a PM last night. Forgot to include in the message that also with the Statler connection to this group I have 2 large Soldiers Memorials of the 211th PA Vol. Statler was in company E not C that was a typo

Josey

?

Josey,
    Seems this collection is alot more than a service medal , I have been in contact with my brother who is also a family historian regarding a purchase in which we have an interest . Of course I reserve my opinion on the medal as a CW ID during the War since it's looks to be in great condition and survived four years in the "field". Our intrest is in returning these items back to our family in which I appreciate your considering selling them.
    I would like to know a little more about other items mentioned in your FWD and would like to deal direct, my e-mail is princeofphilly1@aol.com
    (Tom) Prince

AMAZING collection!!! Oh what I'd give to get a cased navy cross like you have...thank you very much for sharing!!!

Alex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast