Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Named US medals

Article about: I note from the enlistment record of Arthur J Petit (31417561) that he enlisted in Springfield, MA and that he was married. This ties in nicely with the Jewish servicemen's card above (Sprin

I note from the enlistment record of Arthur J Petit (31417561) that he enlisted in Springfield, MA and that he was married. This ties in nicely with the Jewish servicemen's card above (Springfield is very close to Holyoke), so certain to be the same chap.

Cheers, Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    I note from the enlistment record of Arthur J Petit (31417561) that he enlisted in Springfield, MA and that he was married. This ties in nicely with the Jewish servicemen's card above (Springfield is very close to Holyoke), so certain to be the same chap.

Cheers, Tom
    Thanks Tom/Ed,

Yes, must be one and the same and his service card indicated he was wounded, so......I think we have found the owner of the PH! Now, to determine how he was wounded...........

btw....how did you pull up his service card?

Thanks!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Michael,
    Ancestry is the best route. This is where Tom pulled the Jewish Welfare Board card. The other resources work great if you don't have the money to spend on an Ancestry account, although I'm not seeing much else on there that would be of use with respect to Petit.

It looks like Petit's son, Arthur Petit Jr. has a findagrave memorial (another valuable, free online resource). Confirmed it is his son through the 1940 Census record:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K4XB-CDM

Arthur James Petit, Jr ( - 1996) - Find A Grave Memorial

Based on an article I found, his son was a firefighter who died in the line of duty:

Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, 1990-2000 - Google Books

Possible there is still family living in the area that you can contact, if you want to go that route (tread carefully, though). There are a few public records for Petit's living in Holyoke:

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...lace%3Aholyoke

Another option is to search "Petit" and "Holyoke" on Facebook. Couple of returns there that could be possible relatives.

Pulling some other information, I can determine the following:

Arthur J Petit

DOB - 8 February 1907
    DOD - September 1958
    SSN - 032-09-5750

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JB2B-86B

If you use the above information along with his ASN (31417561), you can submit a request to NPRC for Petit's service record, using SF-180 found on archives.gov:

http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf

It's free to request records, however their may be a fee for copies, which can vary from $20-$60.

You may also receive notification that the records were lost in the fire of 73. More info on that here:

1973 Fire

If you get this, you could always go the route of a private researcher such as:

Golden Arrow Military Research-Order Military Service Records

However, before going that route, I would try contacting the local VFW or historical society to see if they have any information. According to several family trees on Ancestry, Petit died in Hampden, MA:

Hampden Historical Society
    616 Main St, Hampden, MA 01036
    (413) 566-5803

VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
    190 Main St, Hampden, MA 01036
    (413) 566-8797

Another place to contact is the county clerk's office. Many servicemen filed their discharge paperwork with the county clerk upon returning home from service. Contact info here:

Town Of Hampden, MA | Town Clerk

If they can't help, they may be able to tell you where Petit is interred. If he received a military burial, the cemetery may also have a copy of his discharge paperwork, which would have been needed to confirm military service.

In any case, good luck with your research!

MAP
    ?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Michael,
    Ancestry is the best route. This is where Tom pulled the Jewish Welfare Board card. The other resources work great if you don't have the money to spend on an Ancestry account, although I'm not seeing much else on there that would be of use with respect to Petit.

It looks like Petit's son, Arthur Petit Jr. has a findagrave memorial (another valuable, free online resource). Confirmed it is his son through the 1940 Census record:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K4XB-CDM

Arthur James Petit, Jr ( - 1996) - Find A Grave Memorial

Based on an article I found, his son was a firefighter who died in the line of duty:

Firefighter Fatality Retrospective Study, 1990-2000 - Google Books

Possible there is still family living in the area that you can contact, if you want to go that route (tread carefully, though). There are a few public records for Petit's living in Holyoke:

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...lace%3Aholyoke

Another option is to search "Petit" and "Holyoke" on Facebook. Couple of returns there that could be possible relatives.

Pulling some other information, I can determine the following:

Arthur J Petit

DOB - 8 February 1907
    DOD - September 1958
    SSN - 032-09-5750

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JB2B-86B

If you use the above information along with his ASN (31417561), you can submit a request to NPRC for Petit's service record, using SF-180 found on archives.gov:

http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf

It's free to request records, however their may be a fee for copies, which can vary from $20-$60.

You may also receive notification that the records were lost in the fire of 73. More info on that here:

1973 Fire

If you get this, you could always go the route of a private researcher such as:

Golden Arrow Military Research-Order Military Service Records

However, before going that route, I would try contacting the local VFW or historical society to see if they have any information. According to several family trees on Ancestry, Petit died in Hampden, MA:

Hampden Historical Society
    616 Main St, Hampden, MA 01036
    (413) 566-5803

VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars)
    190 Main St, Hampden, MA 01036
    (413) 566-8797

Another place to contact is the county clerk's office. Many servicemen filed their discharge paperwork with the county clerk upon returning home from service. Contact info here:

Town Of Hampden, MA | Town Clerk

If they can't help, they may be able to tell you where Petit is interred. If he received a military burial, the cemetery may also have a copy of his discharge paperwork, which would have been needed to confirm military service.

In any case, good luck with your research!
    Wow! This is great Eric. Can't thank you enough. I think this puts square in the spirit of the currently running thread "why i love this forum"

Same to friends Tom (aka Thorne83) and Ed (aka Aurelius180 - who btw also had a great comment on the "why I love this forum" thread).

Hope one day I could help out with what little I know!

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Michael!

Glad to see you're making some headway on your research! It's always cool to find out some information about individuals when their items come into our possession. It's important we make sure to keep that history with the items for the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2