Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help on identifying British ribbons.

Article about: I received 11 ribbons in the mail today, I know what most of the ribbons are, but there are some I can't identify(See the second picture).

Default Need help on identifying British ribbons.

I received 11 ribbons in the mail today, I know what most of the ribbons are, but there are some I can't identify(See the second picture).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help on identifying British ribbons.   Need help on identifying British ribbons.  

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: Need help on identifying British ribbons.

Hi Vegar,

Here is what i think your medal ribbons are, the one's i'm not sure of will be marked ???

1st row: 39-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Burma Star, War Medal, Naval General Service Medal.

2nd row: (These ribbons are reversed, and should read, 39-45 Star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, Efficiency Medal???(Yellow stripes appear wider than normal?)

3rd row: Defence Medal, War Medal, Efficiency Medal,(Pretty certain that's right!), Pacific Star. These are all presented wrongly i think.

To the right of the 3rd row: O.B.E. (Military), ??? Can't tell colour.

BTW, Your oxy mask is a type 'G' with a type 26 mic. Ball park price 275-330 GBP at dealer prices.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The medals ribbons are, from top to bottom and from left to right:

1. 1939-45 Star; Atlantic Star; Burma Star; 39-45 War Medal; Naval General Service Medal 1915-62

2. Efficiency Medal; Defence Medal; Africa Star; 1939-45 Star (The bar is reversed and should be turned through 180 degrees)

3. Defence Medal; 39-45 War Medal; Efficiency Medal; Cadet Forces Medal

4. BEM/MBE/OBE (Military); Life saving award?

Most life-saving awards have very dark blue or black ribbons and are officially worn so that is my best guess on the last one. That said, it does appear that there could be a device of some kind in the middle of the ribbon - a black rosette or is it just a trick of the light?

Quote by skypilot View Post
    The medals ribbons are, from top to bottom and from left to right:

1. 1939-45 Star; Atlantic Star; Burma Star; 39-45 War Medal; Naval General Service Medal 1915-62

2. Efficiency Medal; Defence Medal; Africa Star; 1939-45 Star (The bar is reversed and should be turned through 180 degrees)

3. Defence Medal; 39-45 War Medal; Efficiency Medal; Cadet Forces Medal

4. BEM/MBE/OBE (Military); Life saving award?

Most life-saving awards have very dark blue or black ribbons and are officially worn so that is my best guess on the last one. That said, it does appear that there could be a device of some kind in the middle of the ribbon - a black rosette or is it just a trick of the light?

Skypilot is correct on these.

The last ribbon bar is most likely the British Empire Medal, and the
    St. John's Medal - if the ribbon is indeed solid black.
    Regards,

Steve.

I take it you mean the Order of St John, as opposed to the Service Medal of the Order of St John? If so, then it is indeed a possibility.

Quote by skypilot View Post
    I take it you mean the Order of St John, as opposed to the Service Medal of the Order of St John? If so, then it is indeed a possibility.
    Right on, once again................!

The only reason I mentioned the possibility of a BEM is because the ribbon looks shorter in width,
    but it could simply be that the bar they are mounted to is slightly taller than normal.
    Regards,

Steve.