Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New guy with questions

Article about: I got this group of medals from an old neighbor after he passed. They have just been sitting in the safe till recently. They were his brother's, James L. Bayliss. I have been tring to find a

?

Default New guy with questions

I got this group of medals from an old neighbor after he passed. They have just been sitting in the safe till recently. They were his brother's, James L. Bayliss. I have been tring to find any information about him I could. I know he was a Technical Sergeant in the 9th Infantry Regiment, 2d Infantry Division, and was KIA on 19 December 1944. I would like to know where to look to find anything else about him. All 3 medals are named and the PH is numbered. Any help would be GREATLT appreciated.

Default Re: New guy with questions

om my god. what you have is breathtaking the bronze star and citation, our nations 2nd highest medal earned my a serviceman the distinguished service cross, and a purple heart. that collection is very valuable and a important piece of American history. you should look up The distinguished service cross recipients and look up his name. you'll probably find a lot of information. what you have been given is almost unbelievable. i am utterly amazed. very nice.

Holy Schnikes batman, Hunt is correct that is a impressive collection. Like he said look up the distinguished service cross recipients list or try to find a website that deals directly with the 2nd ID in WWII, they have some amazing resources. I found a website for my great granduncles unit and they helped me identify what company and helped me narrow down where he was Kill in Action.

Quote by JSchmidt415 View Post
    Holy Schnikes batman, Hunt is correct that is a impressive collection. Like he said look up the distinguished service cross recipients list or try to find a website that deals directly with the 2nd ID in WWII, they have some amazing resources. I found a website for my great granduncles unit and they helped me identify what company and helped me narrow down where he was Kill in Action.
    That sure is a very important and valuable grouping-how often do you come across US awards like this with citations etc, wonderful and well worth fully researching. Regards, Tim.

very nice set very collectable.The set I have is from a D-day vet silver bronze star and purple hart.
    Chris

?

The soliders name is James L. Bayliss. I have done a few Google searches, and found some info on him but not much. I really don't know where to look. Any guidance in the right direction would be greatly apprciated. When y'all say very valuable, just how valuable are you talking. I figured it was worth something, but not a lot. The DSC and BS boxes are not in the best shape, but the PH box has PURPLE HEART on one line instead of two lines.

Are the medals mark with his name on the back?
    The cross go for 200 to 300 $.If you can find where he was during the war the lot would bring nice price.

Chris

?

Yes, all 3 medals are named and the PH is numbered.

This is all I have been able to find about where he was KIA
    The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge - Google Books

When I get home from work I will look up some info, Govt. computers won't let me access every site haha

?

WOW that is a dream set ! Keep them safe !