Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nice Named WW2 Grouping inc Dunkirk Medal.

Article about: This really nice WW2 grouping was bought by Paula the wife for a late Birthday prezzie a few weeks back. The group of medals here belonged to 1451341 L/Sgt Eric Francis Child, Royal Artiller

Default Nice Named WW2 Grouping inc Dunkirk Medal.

This really nice WW2 grouping was bought by Paula the wife for a late Birthday prezzie a few weeks back. The group of medals here belonged to 1451341 L/Sgt Eric Francis Child, Royal Artillery. All of the campaign stars are named on their backs and the Defence, War Medal and TEF are correctly named around their rims. The Dunkirk Medal has its original named box of issue including named certificate and miniature. The miniature medals and identity tags also came with the grouping which is one of the nicest ive seen in a while. Now, someone has said that the recipient could not have been a Canadian as his unit would have been "RCA" not "RA"?? So he must have either been South African or Australian perhaps?? Either way id thought id share as i thought this was a pretty nice group hence why Paula went and bought them for me. Cheers All.Attachment 1009029Attachment 1009027Attachment 1009032Attachment 1009036Attachment 1009035

A nice group to have, and good on your wife for buying them for you! I would imagine that the recipient had these engraved himself - probably by a jeweller. And as for the Defence medal and Victory medal, I assume that you mean 'in the style of,' rather than 'correctly named?' Apparently, Australia and South Africa named their medals, so maybe they are OK.

The naming on the stars looks unofficial and his army number is for the British Royal Artillery which fits with them named to him as R A so he served with the British Army, though he might have been a Canadian or whatever though perhaps he moved to Canada post war.

Nice group.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Foreign versions of the defence medal etc were named but also were silver not cupro nickel. The strcs were the same as the UK versions, but sa troops had their own war medal.
    Regards,

Jerry

very nice grouping, with neatly done private engraving.
    a great set! well done mrs Falschirmjager!

I couldn't find his details on the records Jerry, I must have been looking in the wrong place - and me being a gunner too - as was my uncle... The shame of it!

What is extra nice about this WW2 set is that they can be researched - unlike most WW2 sets.

?

This shows the number belonged to the RA http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org...?query=1451341

What rank is I/Sergeant?

Definitely worth applying for his service record for confirmation of where he served https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests...ervice-records

Tony

Hi Tony, not "I" but "L" for Lance Sgt.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Jerry, where was the Defence medal issued in silver please? (I wish the Aussie ones were in silver).
    Nice group!

Oz.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Jerry, where was the Defence medal issued in silver please? (I wish the Aussie ones were in silver).
    Nice group!

Oz.
    According to this link the Canadian version was 800 Silver.

World War 2 Awards.com - Defence Medal 1939-1945
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast