Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Idea What This Is?

Article about: Friends, This medal belonged to my great-grandfather, who served in the Navy during WWII. All I know about him comes from my grandmother. She gave me this medal that she said belonged to him

?

Default No Idea What This Is?

Friends,

This medal belonged to my great-grandfather, who served in the Navy during WWII. All I know about him comes from my grandmother. She gave me this medal that she said belonged to him but I have ZERO idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to start forming a framed memoir for him. Thank you all!

-Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No Idea What This Is?   No Idea What This Is?  

Was your grandfather American too? Just asking to determine if the award is American.

Not a US military issued medal. It kinda reminds of some kind of American legion or VFW type award, though a quick Google search yielded no matches.

Yeah, I also think that this is not a US medal.

Going off of Nathan suggestion. I would like to add Grand Army of the Republic. I think looks post Civil War.

?

Interesting. Thank you all for the help.. im hoping to find something concrete but hopefully we are moving in the right direction. This medal has been driving me nuts!

?

I would definitely say GAR I have seen the blue bars before without the medal but never the combination of both interesting medal

Hi Dramos, Only an opinion but I doubt that the medal was ever issued or awarded to your Grandad. More likely your Great Great Grandad. The style of the eagle and the medal in general has, at least to me, all the hall marks of the Civil War and, as has already been stated, the Grand Army of the Republic. Possibly an award or a commenorative medal?????
    I hope that you do not mind a Limey putting in a few suggestions??
    Cheers Michael Ryan

?

Np Michael! Always appreciate any input. Like I said, my grandma knew little of the medal and gave it to me knowing i would like to have it. My mothers side of the family has. Long line of ancestors going all the way back to the mayflower so civil war is certainly possible.

MAP
    ?

Been looking at this medal and I kept saying...."hmm the top part sure looks like the Colonel shoulder boards I used to see on old civil war pictures and in the old TV westerns I watched as a kid......."

so a quick google searched turned this up (see below).

I would go with a Grand Army of the Republic/VFW commorative medal or pre-1900's.

What I can't make out are the two objects on the beach. What also throws me is the rising sun behind the two peaks. Maybe a of Latin American engagement? I KNOW I've seen the sun/peaks image before I just don't know where.

All just speculation. I think your best bet would be to find a Civil War forum and ask them.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

Regards,

Michael

ANTIQUE CIVIL WAR SHOULDER STRAPS, COLONEL STRAPS

No Idea What This Is?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast