Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Northern Ireland GSM to Private in the LI

Article about: Recently purchased a GSM with NI bar to a private in the Light Infantry. I have tried a few looks online but seeing how as this is an older medal was wondering if there was a a way to search

Default Northern Ireland GSM to Private in the LI

Recently purchased a GSM with NI bar to a private in the Light Infantry. I have tried a few looks online but seeing how as this is an older medal was wondering if there was a a way to search it? It is named around the rim (24233658 PTE. M.A. FURLONG LI.)
    Northern Ireland GSM to Private in the LINorthern Ireland GSM to Private in the LINorthern Ireland GSM to Private in the LI

The regimental number places it (probably) around the 1980's. My own number starts 241, and I did my first tour in late 1971 to March 1972. My avatar is an image of one of our Pigs on mobile in Andersonstown in January 1972. If you want I can put out a request for information on one of the regimental websites - or maybe you could chance your arm on forces records.

?

Steve i was a 244 in 1976 when i joined 5 LI before going regular and into the Gunners so this number will be earlier !! If you search around on info on the LI you should find data on the dates of all the different Bn's Tours in NI .

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Steve i was a 244 in 1976 when i joined 5 LI before going regular and into the Gunners so this number will be earlier !! If you search around on info on the LI you should find data on the dates of all the different Bn's Tours in NI .
    Yep, my number issued in 1975 was 243..... and at that time many of our CPL and SGT Instructors were 242's and if memory serves the lads that joined through the early 80's were 244 and 245 numbers. LI associations will surely be the best bet and if the Bn can be identified all the better. A very good friend of mine was in 2LI with a 244 number. He served a full 22yrs ending as a WOII PSI with the TA so it's possible he may help. I'll drop him a line. However, it should be remembered that the LI as it was then had three regular Bn plus the TAVR and if this bloke only served a short tour it might be a big ask to find much about him.

Regards

Mark

I would greatly appreciate if you could try to find something. I tried forces war records and didint find anything. Thank you for your service as well sir.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The regimental number places it (probably) around the 1980's. My own number starts 241, and I did my first tour in late 1971 to March 1972. My avatar is an image of one of our Pigs on mobile in Andersonstown in January 1972. If you want I can put out a request for information on one of the regimental websites - or maybe you could chance your arm on forces records.
    Any help would be great as I said I havent been able to find much online

?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, my number issued in 1975 was 243..... and at that time many of our CPL and SGT Instructors were 242's and if memory serves the lads that joined through the early 80's were 244 and 245 numbers.
    I was issued my number in 1981 and it starts 246, so I would say its around the early (very) 1970's.

I will ask a mate of mine when I get chance if he's any idea's, (he's ex-LI).

Another avenue may be to contact the LI Museum in Winchester.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Thanks for the replys and help fellas and again thank you all for your service. The role the british army has played in northern ireland is a big interest of mine.

I suppose we haven't considered here how numbers were allocated accross the Army which does blurr things a bit. As I recall before the days of the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow each Manning and Records Office. Inf North, Inf South, RAC etc etc had numbers allocated enbloc and it depended on how quickly they got through these blocs of numbers. So, I remember being confused by meeting blokes from say the REME or R.Sigs who seemed to have an older number than an infantryman who was actually senior in service! In the end the regimental numberwas not that precise a yardstick. Of course they are using a totally different system now since the introduction of the compterised admin system where soldiers do a lot of their own admin. I ask you, Tommy Atkins keeping his own leave and claims records!!!!!

Regards

Mark

He was not killed in action or anything, found the LI Roll of Honour since 1968, will try and keep digging

http://www.lightinfantry.co.uk/d/mem..._19_Feb_14.pdf
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast