Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)

Article about: Today is my Grandfathers birthday and I would like to share with you who he was: Carmine Magnolia was a Corpral in the US Army Air Corps. stationed at headquarters (an all girls school) in H

Default Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)

Today is my Grandfathers birthday and I would like to share with you who he was:

Carmine Magnolia was a Corpral in the US Army Air Corps. stationed at headquarters (an all girls school) in High Wycombe, England, he was assigned to the motor pool. His job was to drive from air drome to airdrome selling war bonds. By wars end he had served for 2 years and 6 months. Carmine after the war, returned to his home in Brooklyn, NY and raised my mom, her two sisters and brother. In 1990 when i was born he and his wife Angelina helped my mom raise me. Carmine lived a long prosperous life, He died in January of 2011.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)   Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)  

Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)   Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)  

Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)   Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)  

Default Re: Old Soldiers Never Die (Grandad's WWII Awards)

Wonderful and well presented group in Honour of your Grandad,Mate
    I can see you are extremely proud of him,as well you should be.

Old Soldiers Never Die,
    but they wont Fade Away as long as we continue to remember them!
    Cheers Mick

I'm sure it pleases him to know he won't be forgotten. Thank you for remembering him and sharing him with us. If only we had a little more time with all of them

Well done mate, I'm sure he would be very proud of his grandson also.

Excellent display!

My Grandfather was in the USAAF aswell, I too have his medals on display, but unfortunately he passed before I was born so I did not have the chance to meet him and hear his stories as you have had the opportunity to!
    Last edited by sunsetIE; 07-01-2012 at 09:29 AM.

His assignment was selling War Bonds at all the aerodromes? How cool is that! Did he ever say how many he had sold by the end of the war? I definitely like the displays of his insignia and badges! Very nice! I especially like the 2 little Ruptured Duck pins. I remember my father telling me that they had to Pay for these pins when they were discharged and how he got all insulted at this and he never did get one! How is it that he had duplicates of all his medals? Did he have to send for them special?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    His assignment was selling War Bonds at all the aerodromes? How cool is that! Did he ever say how many he had sold by the end of the war? I definitely like the displays of his insignia and badges! Very nice! I especially like the 2 little Ruptured Duck pins. I remember my father telling me that they had to Pay for these pins when they were discharged and how he got all insulted at this and he never did get one! How is it that he had duplicates of all his medals? Did he have to send for them special?
    Duplicates/Replacements can be ordered from the National Military Personnel Records Center at no charge if requested by the veteran.

thank you everybody for your replies

Wagriff, to my knowledge he didn't do any selling, he dove a bunch of soldiers that would put on shows at each air drome (USO?). Something i forgot to mention about my grandpa was during the beginning of his service he ran the Laundry service at headquarters. He made sure our boys and the Brits were looking sharp. He doesn't mention exactly when in his memoirs when he went from one assignment to the next.

I also have a Scrapbook he made filled with pictures of his service during the war. I will post pictures if anyone will like to see.

- - Updated - -

thank you everybody for your replies

Wagriff, to my knowledge he didn't do any selling, he dove a bunch of soldiers that would put on shows at each air drome (USO?). Something i forgot to mention about my grandpa was during the beginning of his service he ran the Laundry service at headquarters. He made sure our boys and the Brits were looking sharp. He doesn't mention exactly when in his memoirs when he went from one assignment to the next.

I also have a Scrapbook he made filled with pictures of his service during the war. I will post pictures if anyone will like to see.

?

Quote by sunsetIE View Post
    Duplicates/Replacements can be ordered from the National Military Personnel Records Center at no charge if requested by the veteran.
    You can get replacements 1 time.

- - Updated - -

A very nice thread.