Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original Burma Star???

Article about: Hi, i forgot to post the pictures when it arrived. Soon i'll be posting it. I can't take a closer picture right now, but i'm posting another picture that i already have, next to other period

Default Original Burma Star???

Hi,

I've purchased, recently, a few British medals (Defense medal, 1939-1945 medal, Africa Star, Italy Star, France-Germany Star, 1939-1945 Star).
    All were original WWII medals... according to my research and the help of my dear forum friends.
    The last acquisition was this Burma Star.
    I would like your oppinion on this one.
    I've not received it yet, but here are some pictures of it.

Is this a good one?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Burma Star???   Original Burma Star???  

Original Burma Star???  

?

Default Re: Original Burma Star???

When I get chance I'll dig out my Grandads 39-45 star for comparison. I gave my brother the Africa Star as a good luck charm when he did his tours of afghan and Iraq. I know there are a LOT of reproductions on Ebay and the like. All of the stars (39/45, Africa, Italy, Burma etc) are fairly similair - how does it look and feel compared to the others you have?

Looks good to me, with a patina I would expect...

Hi,

As i wrote before, i still don't have it with me.

Maybe tomorrow it will arrive.

Its on my local post office (to be delivered).

When i receive it i'll post some better pictures.

Thanks

This Star looks original, the thickness in normally a give away.
    I have had lots over the years including Aircrew Europe Stars all with great patina but not original.
    My originals are roughly 3/16" thick, its in imperial because the were made to imperial dimensions.
    The copies are give or take a 1000th, a 1/4" thick..
    Now bear in mind I have a metal tape measure and am technically blind... LOL

?

I think this may be a re-issue medal, as it looks too new along with the ribbon, i obtained my uncles medals via the Royal Marines at Gosport, they came in seperate boxes with a description and the relevant ribbons , this was in 2004.

Quote by davejb View Post
    I think this may be a re-issue medal, as it looks too new along with the ribbon, i obtained my uncles medals via the Royal Marines at Gosport, they came in seperate boxes with a description and the relevant ribbons , this was in 2004.
    I agree. Something looks different. Here are my Grandad's originals and they have been kept in Nan's jewellery box wrapped in a cloth since he has had them, and they still show age. What do you think about the comparison?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original Burma Star???  

?

Theres not a lot to go on for comparison, as these set appear to be well cared for, the Burma star looks to me to be a re-issue but you cant really tell without a side to side of two burma stars, although a re-issue it is still a genuine star, although im not sure if they are made now or if the department that issues them have a stock from the wartime period i must admit that my uncles medals took only two weeks to arrive therefore i cant see that they would have been restruck just for him, so i would say that they have a reserve stock of all medals for just that purpose

Quote by davejb View Post
    It appears to be a good one (just my opinion), the ribbon is difficult to judge. This one appears to have never been paraded. It could have sat in the box it was issued in for a long time, and never seen the sun. The ribbon is not folded to fit into the o ring very well either.
    In Canada, this is not the 'choice' medal to try to pull the wool over on someone...it's the Aircrew Star.
    I never could understand that since there was fewer Burma Stars issued, to the best of my knowledge.

Closer pictures of the actual medal details may help if possible?

From the pic I would say original star with a replacement ribbon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast