Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pacific campaign medal original ?

Article about: Hello everyone, recently got this and wondered is it an original ww2 issue? Many thanks for your help. - - Updated - - Sorry about the photos being sideways, I've uploaded from my phone so c

Default Pacific campaign medal original ?

Hello everyone, recently got this and wondered is it an original ww2 issue?
    Many thanks for your help.
    Pacific campaign medal original ?Pacific campaign medal original ?

- - Updated - -

Sorry about the photos being sideways, I've uploaded from my phone so cannot rotate them

Default Re: Pacific campaign medal original ?

You need to get a picture of the clasp or pin on the ribbon. It will tell the story.

Thanks
    Burt

do you mean the pin on the ribbon?

While the clasp/pin is a dead giveaway for the approximate age of a medal, that is not the case in this particular medal....The majority, if not all Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medals were made with the current style crimp-brooch style pin back (although on very rare occasion you run into a slotted-crimp brooch or an even more rare slot brooch). While at the time, the details on the front or back were designed well, over time, they developed that worn, almost dull look that we all know vintage medals have. In addition, the design on the front has all of the finer details blackened in- A hallmark giveaway of a modern replacement. In my honest opinion, this is a modern restrike of the medal. What would further confirm this claim is if you look on the back of the brooch and lift up the pin; you should be able to see a "graco",, "LI-GI" "G-27", or "G-23" stamped hallmark.
    Last edited by Javelin4life; 12-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.

From what I know of the medals in my own collection (veteran replacements) this looks like a post war medal, the ribbon is extremely clean and bright, and they have added the shading to make the details stand out unlike originals.

These are just my observations, and in no way should be seen as a definitive answer.

I am asking my father to send me detailed pictures of my Grandfather's medal. Once I have those I will post them for you for comparison.

Thanks everyone, i had a quick look and it says G27 on the back of the clip. Is there anyway to find what date it was issued if it is a post war govemrnet issue?
    Also thanks i look forward to seeing your original grandfathers one.

Notice the W maker mark in the rock the eagle is standing on?

My Grandfathers American Campaign and European African, Middle East Campaign medals have the same initial, and have been "shadowed" to enhance the details like your recent purchase.

Pacific campaign medal original ?Pacific campaign medal original ?

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    Thanks everyone, i had a quick look and it says G27 on the back of the clip. Is there anyway to find what date it was issued if it is a post war govemrnet issue?
    Also thanks i look forward to seeing your original grandfathers one.
    If it says "G-27" on the back, the medal is a Graco manufactured medal. Graco has been around for 30 some-odd years, but I would be confident to say that yours is a late 90's-early 2000's issue

Quote by Javelin4life View Post
    If it says "G-27" on the back, the medal is a Graco manufactured medal. Graco has been around for 30 some-odd years, but I would be confident to say that yours is a late 90's-early 2000's issue
    Thanks for the help, although its not a ww2 issue i think for $7 this was a good space filler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast