Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: Are these ribbons and medals war time or post war ?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wartime

5 100.00%
  • Post war

0 0%

Please tell me about these military decorations my grandfather found !!

Article about: My grandfather recently found these 3 military decorations in his basement, he has no idea whosnthey were or wher they came from. I did some research and to my understanding the yellow ribbo

Default Please tell me about these military decorations my grandfather found !!

My grandfather recently found these 3 military decorations in his basement, he has no idea whosnthey were or wher they came from. I did some research and to my understanding the yellow ribbon means you fought in the pacific theater. If this is correct is there anyway possible who's ever it was was a marine?, we found all three in the same box. I just want to know know everything I can about these medals, like what war they are from, why they received them, and what do those stars ean on the ribbons?? If it is possible that these can belong to a marine in ww2 than we might know who's it was, so please help

Here are some pics

Default Re: Please tell me about these military decorations my grandfather found !!

I believe that the ribbon on the right is the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, awarded to any member of the United States military who served in the Pacific Theater from 1941 to 1945. This has 2 battle or service stars. The one on the left I think is the American defense Service medal, awarded for active duty service between September 8, 1939 and December 7, 1941

Default Re: Please tell me about these military decorations my grandfather found !!

The red with white stripes is the Army Good Conduct Ribbon, awarded to recognize exemplary behavior, efficiency, and fidelity during 3 years of continued, active duty, enlisted service (1 year of service during wartime). Established in 1941

The badge, as I am sure you are aware is US Army Marksmanship Qualification Badge, this one being at Sharpshooter level. Suspended from the badge are qualification bars that indicate the specific weapon(s) in which qualified (rifle and carbine in this case). This is an Army issue badge, not marine corps as far as I am aware.

the red and white one is the army good conduct medal.

the stars on the asiatic pacific campaign medal indicate repeat qualification and award of the same medal.

edit: oops. i see this is just been addressed.

- - Updated - -

i should add that these are army medals, not marine. i say this because i assume they were found together and the good conduct medal, for one, is army specific in this design so you are looking for an individual that served in the army most likely and in WW2.

I agree with Templehoff except the stars denote being in two major battles in the Pacific not repeat awards like other medals. Also Army not USMC.

Thanks
    Burt

yes, you're 100% right there. the stars can denote participation in campaigns and that's what they denote here.

my apologies. typing without thinking.