Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posthumous WW2 Purple Hearts & Thier Recipient's

Article about: by Steven M Hi (other) Steve, Thanks very much for the additional photos. the reason I asked was that I have heard different dates for when the aluminum cases were introduced, and from what

Default Re: Posthumous WW2 Purple Hearts & Thier Recipient's

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Hi (other) Steve,

Thanks very much for the additional photos. the reason I asked was that I have heard different dates for when the aluminum cases were introduced, and from what I have been able to ascertain, 1944 was the year they first appeared.

I know these awards could have come in a paper sack , and not lost any of their meaning - and rightly so. When I mentioned leatherette, I didn't mean that in a diminishing way. All of the cases during WWII were a very high quality material that looks very much like leather.
    Sure no problem. Do not think I was thinking anything negative about your questions. This is just the way I talk. People take me wrong all the time. I also have a sarcastic sense of humor which get to some people...

Regards, Dr. Ruby

I just went and photographed just about all the items I have that were his, or related. I think they should be posted here in this thread also.

So here we go, to start.....His early Cadet cap (I think?) and pair of ray-ban AN-6531 sunglasses, "the original aviator glasses"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180001.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	78034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180002.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	78035  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180004.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	78036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180003.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	78037  

And here is a silk scarf hand embroidered for my at the time 25 year old Mother, (his Sister) on the Isle of Capri. It has his 485th Bomb. Squadron on it also.

The small sterling silver bell is known as a "Capri Bell" and were popular with airmen to hang from their A-2 of B-3 jacket zippers. I think they were a good luck charm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180005.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	78038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180007.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	78039  

Name:	P1180008.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	78040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180009.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	78041  

And here is his Navigator wings and other items. I am not sure the ribbon bars were his. a couple items were from my Father and Grandfather. The small round tubes at lower right were for sure my Fathers or his Dads, they are military issue I believe. They have a small rolled up paper inside, with either the Ten Commandments, or a Jewish prayer in Hebrew, I forget which. I do not read Hebrew as my father and hid dad could. Interesting little items.

Name:	P1180012.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	78042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180013.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	78043  

Name:	P1180014.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	78044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180015.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	78045  

Name:	P1180016.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	78046  

And here are 2 items, they are not military, but funny story. My Mothers nick-name in the 20's, 30's, 40's by her brother, Lt Weiner to be....was "Birdie" In the early 30's, during the depression, my Mother saw this bird pin in a F. W. Woolworth store in Denver, Co. were they lived. She wanted it badly. She was about 11, her Brother, later to be 1st. Lt. Weiner was about 14 years old. They absolutely did not have the money to buy this "Birdie" pin my Mother recalls, neither had any money on them. Young Lt. Weiner to be, told my Mother to go wait on the corner for him, he forgot something in the store, and will be right back.

He came back with this birdie pin and gave it to my 11 year old mother. She is 90 right now, and she still can tell me this story as if it were yesterday. She really does not know how he got it, but she thinks he possibly stole it for her. Is F.W. Woolworth still in business? I hope they do not read this.

The other item is his watch fob or?? I think they are elks teeth. The metal is blued steel I believe.

Name:	P1180010.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	78048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180011.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	78049  

And here is what has to be the worlds longest "Short Snorter" Many of these bills have the signatures of his crew mates and many others.
    I have been meaning to have this mounted professionally between to pieces of glass so you can see both sides if you want. This will be very nice for display, and it will also preserve it much better. I will do this soon.

I have never seen one this long, have any members seen others this long?

I hope you enjoyed looking at these photos, and the story behind them.

Regards, Steve
    "Dr.Ruby"

Name:	P1180017.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	78058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180019.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	78063  

Name:	P1180020.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	78070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180021.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	78071  

Name:	P1180022.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	244.1 KB 
ID:	78072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180023.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	78073  

Name:	P1180024.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	78074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180025.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	78075  

Name:	P1180026.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	246.6 KB 
ID:	78076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180027.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	78077  

Default Short Snorter Has anyone seen a Longer one?

Do any other members have a short snorter to share pics of?

Does anyone have a Long snorter also?

Regards Steve

Default Corrections of Wrong Information

I know this is an old post with not much activity or many comments, but I would like to correct some incorrect information that I stated in this post that I cannot edit now. I have re-read this post I made from last year about Purple Hearts and my mothers older brother, 2nd Lt. Marvin Robert Weiner, or as she has always called him "Uncle Buddy"

Because this post will be here a long, long time, probably well after I'm gone, It should contain the correct information. I never knew my "Uncle Buddy" but he has always been close to me in mind and soul, and spirit....So I feel a correction is due, plus a little more information. It may not matter too much to other members here, but personally it does to me. I also wish I could delete a few stupid things I've said, but I think my uncle would forgive my stupidity......

I've recently been in contact with the 485th Bomb Group Association and learned the real story of my Uncle Buddy's early death....He was KIA on a mission to bomb a marshaling yard in "Salonika" Greece on September 24, 1944...not Salernaco in 1943 as I first stated....mis-spelled and also the wrong year.

He was flying with another crew, only this one day Sept. 24th 1944, with 1st Lt. Robert Hegmann's crew as a replacement navigator. My Uncle Buddy had over 40 missions under his belt at the time. I stated in my original post he needed to complete 25 missions to complete his tour and then he would return to the states to train other personnel, but this not true, he needed 50 missions being stationed in Venosa, Italy. 25 missions were needed for the crews stationed in England to complete their tours as I now understand it.

In the crew photo I show....here are the names of the crew and more info...Front Row, Left to Right: My Uncle, 2ndLt. Marvin Robert Weiner, navigator; Captain Thomas D. O’Brien, pilot; Lt. Harold Kohne, copilot, and George Buttel, bombardier. Back Row, Left to Right: Daniel Finley, radio operator; Frank Penner, waist gunner; S/Sgt Charles Raabe, tail gunner; Leslie Good, waist gunner; Nick Hank engineer, and William Walz, ball gunner.

"Captain" Thomas D. O’Brien, pilot, became "Major" O'Brien and the 829th Squadron commander. Lt Harold Kohne became first pilot. My uncle 2ndLt. Marvin Robert Weiner, navigator was killed while flying only one day as a replacement navigator with Hegmann’s crew on September 24, 1944, on a mission to bomb the marshaling yards in Salonika, Greece. The others shown in photo of his crew #48 finished their 50 missions, and all survived the war.

Hegmann's crew was shot down by flak over Salonika, Greece on September 24, 1944. Navigator Christian was not on the mission and was replaced by my uncle Marvin Weiner, who was killed. Hegmann, Watts, Cullen, Smith, Stone and White were also killed. Everett Latham, a second navigator, was also flying with this crew and was killed. Hackler and Morrison of Hegmanns crew were captured by the Germans. In early November, both men escaped as they were being moved north through Yugoslavia, and with help from Yugo Chetniks made their way to Sofia, Bulgaria. They returned to Italy on December 24, 1944.

Here is a link to the 15th Air Forces, 485th Bomb Group website for more info, photos, crew rosters, KIA list, missions list and other history about the 828th, 829th, 830th and 831st Sqdn's if interested to read more.
    829_Two

Tonight 8-19-2011, I had the privilege to speak on the phone, to a member of my Uncle Buddy's original crew, 86 year old S/Sgt Charles A. Rabbe, tail gunner, who is shown standing in back row third from left in the crew #48 picture I posted at the beginning of this thread. It was a really a pleasure to have been able to speak with him....someone who was close to, and who knew & flew many missions with my uncle during the war. He remembered my uncle as a friend, a fine officer and aviator, and a gentleman. God Speed to all the Veterans...

Well...I asked over a year ago...does anyone have more Short Snorters to show?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12