Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purple Heart - Serial 453287

Article about: I received an item of special significance to me today, a purple heart I picked up. The heart has serial number 453287. I was shooting for getting a WW2 issued purple heart, and I discovered

Default Purple Heart - Serial 453287

I received an item of special significance to me today, a purple heart I picked up. The heart has serial number 453287, a type II award (1942-1943) manufactured by The Robbins Company.

I was shooting for getting a WW2 issued purple heart, and I discovered that's not exactly easy to nail down since so many were made for the Japan invasion that weren't needed after dropping the bombs, that surplus was used for decades following the war. Looking at previous entries on this forum, I found one with a serial number on it in the range I believe another that was identified as being from WW2 was also within. I believe this is also called a slot brooch, which to my understanding is in its favor for a WW2 heart. So, I hope I did pretty good here.

In any event, it's an honor and special privilege to have a purple heart in my care now, which kicks off my USA collection and a new folder in my image archive, finally.

Edit: Added some maker and year info to the above information, that I just found from this site, which seems to have a good deal of info on these medals:

Purple Heart History
    Last edited by avenger; 12-02-2014 at 03:12 AM.

?

A nice WW2 era medal.

is the number traceable? Great find !!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    is the number traceable? Great find !!
    Man I would love if it is. I think I read without a name or unit, it's about impossible to trace them. But, I could have read that wrong. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be thrilled to start that process.

Congrats - that's an extremely clean, mint and
    complete package - right down to the extra
    bit of ribbon..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve! This was a medal I approached finding with a good measure of respect. My brother did two tours in Iraq, and while on a patrol he and another soldier in his unit were getting back into an armored truck. As they were shutting the reinforced door to the truck, someone lobbed a grenade at the door. My brother got the door closed just enough to deflect the worst of the blast, but he and his comrade took some shrapnel. He was awarded a purple heart for that event. I kid him that he should check the back of it to see if his name is engraved to make sure he should still be here. All kidding aside though, the significance of the purple heart, particularly those who really did find their names on the back, cannot be understated in the scope of sacrifice. A little less closed of a door, and I may well have a medal with my brothers name on the back of it. Definitely something to keep in mind every time I look at it.

?

These can't be traced by the number.

With the number, it is my understanding that it could
    be traced to the original recipent - is this not
    true Rob ?

I remember a guy saying to me that these are "the
    kind of medal the Wizard of Oz would give to the
    Tin Man" for their somewhat gaudy appearance,
    but they mean so much more by way of
    service and sacrifice.

One of my favourite medals.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I have one question about it perhaps you guys might know, which is what the extra piece of ribbon is for? Is it a scrap from mounting, or a replacement for the ribbon bar version?

?

It's my understanding that WW2 era numbered Purple Hearts are not traceable. And, the extra ribbon is for having a custom ribbon rack made.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast