MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery

Article about: Hey folks, I am posting these pictures as I picked up a Purple Heart recently that was serial numbered and engraved on the back. Here is what I know so far. The serial range does not appear

Default Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery

Hey folks, I am posting these pictures as I picked up a Purple Heart recently that was serial numbered and engraved on the back. Here is what I know so far. The serial range does not appear to fall into the "correct" serial range of WW2 awarded medals. It appears to be a Type 2 Purple Heart with the slot broach. I have been told that the WW2 serial numbers only started running at #75,000. This one is numbered #70,638 which would put it earlier than WW2. Someone could have theoretically added the ribbon to the medal but that seems like a lot of trouble to go through. The engraving style does not seem to match known examples of engraving styles in WW2 but that is not necessarily incorrect if the award was done posthumous. The box would be correct for an early Purple Heart with the single line. Someone had mentioned to me that some of the Pearl Harbor injuries may have received Purple Hearts outside of the known WW2 serial range.

Can anyone shed some light on this or suggest anywhere that could give me more information on this medal and individual.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery   Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery  

Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery   Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery  

Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery   Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery  

Purple Heart Serial Number Mystery  

?

This is what I use for PH info.
    Purple Heart History
    There is one posted with a 71273, and its says

"Bent slot brooch on Type Ib medal, numbered 71273, awarded to Cpl. Fred P. Lowe, Company D, 12th Engineers. WIA March 23, 1918 during Somme Defensive. Awarded March 20, 1941"

So a PH for WW1 awarded in 1941

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for the info. I found out that first War veterans could request purple hearts and the orders were filled between 1939 and 1941. I think this is a first war veteran for sure. That seems to make sense with the early box and Engraving style

It's a nice pick up Jerry 👍

A very nice medal group!