Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family

Article about: The attched are pictures of myself and two members of my family that have received the Purple Heart. First my father Staff Sergeant Howard E. Morris, KIA 19 November 1944, Belgium. 26th Divi

Default Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family

The attched are pictures of myself and two members of my family that have received the Purple Heart.

First my father Staff Sergeant Howard E. Morris, KIA 19 November 1944, Belgium. 26th Division, 104th Infantry Regt.

Second is my Fourth Purple Heart. Vietnam. Served with the 240th Assault Helicopter Company, 1st Aviation Brigade (Greyhounds and Maddogs) 1968. D-Co, 101st Aviation BN, 101st Airborne Division (Hawks) 1971-1972. Shot down seven times during both tours. (Just noticed on my page shows 57 OLC on the purple heart, sorry only have 3 OLC. Wife made the page and I missed it on the proof, gotta blame it on someone)

Third is my Father-in-Law Colonel Edward J. Kelly Jr. Col Kelly was awarded his purple heart on Pork Chop Hill, Korea 1951. 7th Infantry Division.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family   Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family  

Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family   Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family  

Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family   Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family  

Default Re: Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family

This is a close up of the naming of the medals. My Father-in-Law's Purple Heart was not named. My Father's Purple Heart was officially named in 1945 and presented to my mother. And I sent mine in to be offically named in 1973.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Purple Heart spanning three wars-Keeping it in the family  

Major,

I have been thinking of something appropriate to post in response to what I have seen here. It is usually quite easy for me to express my sentiments, however, my mind is failing me in trying to appropriately reply in a manner befitting of such a posting. How does one adequately convey that feeling that you get way down deep in your gut when you see something so moving?

During our frequent discussions, I have come to know you as being quite humble when the topic of conversation involves your accomplishments. Honestly, I continue to find that approach almost as inspiring as the cloth and metal representations of the service which they represent.

I can think of only one way to properly convey my level or respect, admiration and the gratitude I have within - Since I was old enough to realize in some small measure, what level of sacrifice is required for the right to wear tangible examples of Honor, I have literally felt a sense of pride-filled chilling awe when in the presence of such individuals. People like your father, father in law, and yourself Major have served as my role models since I was a child. To me, the Purple Heart represents honor, bravery, courage and sacrifice. Though no one strives for this accolade, it is the only medal which must be earned with the shedding of blood and on the field of battle, requires one's deliberate presence in the face of the enemy. I can think of no higher demonstration of valor...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve,
    Thanks for the kind remarks. Actually being awarded a Purple Heart indicates that one was in the wrong place at the wrong time and forgot to duck. But in my case it was hard to duck in the cockpit of a gunship so we just had to take our licks, and I managed to get "licked" four times.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    The attched are pictures of myself and two members of my family that have received the Purple Heart.

First my father Staff Sergeant Howard E. Morris, KIA 19 November 1944, Belgium. 26th Division, 104th Infantry Regt.

Second is my Fourth Purple Heart. Vietnam. Served with the 240th Assault Helicopter Company, 1st Aviation Brigade (Greyhounds and Maddogs) 1968. D-Co, 101st Aviation BN, 101st Airborne Division (Hawks) 1971-1972. Shot down seven times during both tours. (Just noticed on my page shows 57 OLC on the purple heart, sorry only have 3 OLC. Wife made the page and I missed it on the proof, gotta blame it on someone)

Third is my Father-in-Law Colonel Edward J. Kelly Jr. Col Kelly was awarded his purple heart on Pork Chop Hill, Korea 1951. 7th Infantry Division.
    Hello Terry, Thank you......and a Thank You to your Father & Family, for their service and sacrifice to our Fine Country, The United States Of America.

I also have a Family Purple Heart. If interested to see, here look...
    Posthumous WW2 Purple Hearts & Thier Recipient's

Best Regards, Steve
    "Dr.Ruby"

"If you can read this.....Thank a Teacher,
    If you are Reading it in English....Thank a Soldier"

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hello Terry, Thank you......and a Thank You to your Father & Family, for their service and sacrifice to our Fine Country, The United States Of America.

I also have a Family Purple Heart. If interested to see, here look...
    Posthumous WW2 Purple Hearts & Thier Recipient's

Best Regards, Steve
    "Dr.Ruby"

"If you can read this.....Thank a Teacher,
    If you are Reading it in English....Thank a Soldier"
    Dr. Ruby,
    Thanks, I know both my father and father-in-law were proud professional soldiers and went into harms way without hesitation. As I am sure your relatives were as well. This country has a proud history of producing dedicated men and women who are willing to sacrifice for the good of their fellow citizens.

To bad our congress and president don't have that same sense of didication to their fellow americans and their country, seems they only have the courage to lookout for themselves, everyone else be damned. Sorry, had to jump on the soap box for a moment, but when I think of all the brave men and women who have served so honorably and then see what goes on in Washington it makes me very angry.

Terry

Hawk, Thanks for sharing these iconic medals and histories with some of us common folk.
    It's such an honor to see them.

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Dr. Ruby,
    Thanks, I know both my father and father-in-law were proud professional soldiers and went into harms way without hesitation. As I am sure your relatives were as well. This country has a proud history of producing dedicated men and women who are willing to sacrifice for the good of their fellow citizens.

To bad our congress and president don't have that same sense of didication to their fellow americans and their country, seems they only have the courage to lookout for themselves, everyone else be damned. Sorry, had to jump on the soap box for a moment, but when I think of all the brave men and women who have served so honorably and then see what goes on in Washington it makes me very angry.

Terry
    Terry, no problem about jumping the soap box, I agree 1000%. I am angry also!!
    Not to get started on politics, which is BS in this country now anyway, but I am truly concerned this country is headed in the wrong direction.

Our Fathers and family were fighting for the many things that made this very young country the best place on earth to live..... The best humankind has known yet. Our constitution is a work of genius. It should not be changed to suit political correctness. Our new Pres, and his pals are trying hard, but I think the American people are waking up to what is going on, and are not happy. For instance the newly elected Republican Senator from Mass., a firmly Democratic state. Ha! Good! It is starting.

The old hippies getting into politics I see as a major part of the problem also. They do not understand that the world is not going to be one happy place with everyone holding hands, with no wars or conflicts. All this political correctness has hurt our country big time.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" -- "If you wish for peace, prepare for war" or more common, "Peace Through Strength" This is something they do not comprehend.

My Father passed away in March 2001 at 80 a few months before 9-11. I always wonder what he would say about what has happened in just the last 10 years. I think I have a good idea, but cannot repeat it here.

Regards, Steve "Dr. Ruby"

p.s. There sure are many Steve's in this thread, another just rung in!!!

Reading about the exploits of our modern day heroes currently serving overseas, solidifies in my mind that the spirit of the 18th century Patriot and "Minute Man" is still alive and well in our country.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Terry,
    Steve M said it very eloquently.
    I appreciate you sharing the opportunity to see what true American families are about. Those are great reminders to all of us.
    You and your family have my sincerest thanks, highest respect, and deepest admiration.
    Thank you,
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast