Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Article about: Bought this along with my WW1 Silver Star. It is not mint and didn't come with a case but it is named. It is also missing the brooch. As such I'm not sure if this is a type 1a or type 1b. De

MAP
    ?

Default Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Bought this along with my WW1 Silver Star.

It is not mint and didn't come with a case but it is named. It is also missing the brooch. As such I'm not sure if this is a type 1a or type 1b.

Dealer did all the research so relying on what he provided

Awarded to Sgt William Hinds of L Company, 145th Infantry Regiment, 73rd Infantry Battalion, 37th Infantry Division of US Army. Wounded in action. Nov 1, 1918.

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named

Purple Heart - WW1 Named
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Possibly a type 1b due to the visible sticking on the top of the ribbon. If it was a split brooch I would also think that there would be some fading to the center section of the top of the ribbon.

It a shame the brooch is missing but its still a named WW1 vets PH.
    Nice pick up MIchael

Semper Fi
    Phil

Very nice...never paid much attention to them...but this one I like

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Possibly a type 1b due to the visible sticking on the top of the ribbon. If it was a split brooch I would also think that there would be some fading to the center section of the top of the ribbon.

It a shame the brooch is missing but its still a named WW1 vets PH.
    Nice pick up MIchael

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Quote by real steel View Post
    Very nice...never paid much attention to them...but this one I like
    Thanks guys. It was my first purple heart and liked that it is WW1. I've been on a bit of WW1 kick lately. It also went well with the silver star and the Flashed MK1 Brodie I got as well.

Agree Phil. It is a shame but the price reflected the missing brooch and it will display well as is. Eventually I will pick up a WW2 version in the box. Just waiting for the right one.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Michael,
    This is a site I have as reference on PH's.
    Purple Heart History
    It shows a type 1a(1932-1940) and type 1b(1939-1941) with their prospective serial numbers. I tried to see if the serial number could be traced to year of issue but have had no luck.
    The 1a is #46628 and was awarded in 1934 the 1b is #71273 and was awarded in 1941.

Maybe there is someone with a better database as far as years/serial number issued.

I tried!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Michael,
    This is a site I have as reference on PH's.
    Purple Heart History
    It shows a type 1a(1932-1940) and type 1b(1939-1941) with their prospective serial numbers. I tried to see if the serial number could be traced to year of issue but have had no luck.
    The 1a is #46628 and was awarded in 1934 the 1b is #71273 and was awarded in 1941.

Maybe there is someone with a better database as far as years/serial number issued.

I tried!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Yes you did Phil and many thanks. I actually used that website this morning based on an older thread where you recommended it.

I'm leaning towards a 1b as the bent slot brooch can more easily fall off. For the 1a wrap brooch to come off, the whole ribbon would need to come un-stitched.

Either way, all Purple Hearts for WW1 vets were issued Post War 1932 and beyond) so maybe he asked for his a bit later.

Thanks for the help!