Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal

Article about: i receive today my first canadian medal , is not the war medal, but ,its the Queen silver jubilee ( 25years ) i think is the last medal made in silver by Canada , but i not sure about this .

Default Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal

i receive today my first canadian medal , is not the war medal, but ,its the Queen silver jubilee ( 25years ) i think is the last medal made in silver by Canada , but i not sure about this ...here the description :

The circular silver medal, 1.25 inches (32 mm) in diameter, has a thin, smooth raised rim.
    There were 30,000 medals issued, including 7,000 to the Canadian Forces, 5,500 to the regular force and 1,500 to the reserve forces

The obverse , shows Queen Elizabeth II, facing right, wearing the high Imperial State Crown. The inscription around the rim reads: ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA FID DEF.

The reverse, shows a large stylized maple leaf with CANADA around the top rim and 1952 EIIR 1977 in small lettering around the bottom of the rim. The EIIR has a small crown on top. In very small letters above and between the EIIR and 1977 is the word HUNT
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal   Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal  

Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal  

Default Re: Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal

Hi pierre,
    that is a nice medal, it will look great cleaned, You are right it is the 1977 Silver jubilee 25 yrs. i did two royal guard of honor,s
    In 77, the medal was not given to all troops in the u.k, they gave 10 per Batt, so many missed out on it. Everyone was very angry about that as mainly offices and some N.C.O.s got it, It was to save money for the goverment. ( what a load of crap ) most guy,s got there own and wear them proudly with there other medals. The troops in Canada were very lucky to get there,s
    dave.

dave , here the repartition of soldat who receive this award in canada army

The regular force breakdown of medals was 1,500 to officers (all general officers; 50% of Colonels; 25% LCols; 20% Majors; 5% Captains; & 5% Lieutenants or equivalent naval ranks) and 4,000 to other ranks (50% CWOs; 25% MWOs; 15% WOs; 5% Sergeants; 5% Master Corporals; and 5% Corporals). The reserve force awards were made on a proportionate strength basis to the land, sea and air components, the Cadet Instructors List, the Canadian Rangers and to those holding honourary appointments. The Commanding Officer of each unit decided who in the unit would receive medals.

the british model is made in silver or silver plated ??

reverse of British Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee medal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal  

Dave , i read this in wikipedia : The following numbers were issued:

30,000 British and Commonwealth medals
    1,507 to New Zealanders
    6,870 to Australians
    30,000 Canadian medals

the canada make 30 000 total , and the British make 30 000 for British and New Zealand, and Australian