Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Queen's South Africa Medal

Article about: Just got this, I took a shot at it seemed pretty interesting. This is my first British or commonwealth related medal. Nice toning to the silver, named on the side Thanks for looking General

Default Queen's South Africa Medal

Just got this, I took a shot at it seemed pretty interesting. This is my first British or commonwealth related medal.
    Nice toning to the silver, named on the side
    Thanks for looking
    General Putnam

Stamped on the rim 2800 PTE G.Mulloy Royal Scots

Queen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa Medal

Nice QSA medal the Cape colony & Orange free state bars are the most common. The Belfast bar is one that is not encountered too often, not rare but worth having IMO. Typical individuals name & regiment stamped, not engraved around the edge. Good find & worth having, it doesn't look messed with either. Congrats, Stewy

His records would be available from the national archives at Kew Gardens, London. But they can be a nightmare to get hold of. You used to have to make an appointment to get them for Boer war & QSA related stuff. They weren't available on line. I doubt it's changed. Stewy

Nice medal. I would still like to acquire a Boer War medal or two for the collection. All I could find on ancestry was his entitlement form which confirms the clasps his was awarded and shows that he served in the 1st battalion. Hope this helps. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen's South Africa Medal  

I assume his KSA is missing.

Always a good medal to add to a collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

kc1
    ?

I think i can see the erased dates on the reverse side, the so called ghost dates. The original medals struck i believe for an Australian unit which was going back home tour ended had the end of conflict date as 1899. The boer didnt oblige and subsequent strikings with the date removed from the die still show up the date. A further die was made which removed this ghosting effect and are the most common striking of the medal.
    Always check the rivets securing the bars its not unknown for additions to be made whether by the awardee when a particular engagement may have been a reference for a job or they may have just been a walt. Its not unknown for dealers to add bars to enhance the value.
    Interesting from the roll that most of the Royal Scots were in fact Irish.
    He may not have been entitled to a KSA award of QSA didnt necessarily entitle to immediate award of KSA it would depend when he was in country, as you can see from the roll people were coming and going throughout the Regiments time in S.Africa.

Quote by kc1 View Post
    I think i can see the erased dates on the reverse side, the so called ghost dates. The original medals struck i believe for an Australian unit which was going back home tour ended had the end of conflict date as 1899. The boer didnt oblige and subsequent strikings with the date removed from the die still show up the date. A further die was made which removed this ghosting effect and are the most common striking of the medal.
    Always check the rivets securing the bars its not unknown for additions to be made whether by the awardee when a particular engagement may have been a reference for a job or they may have just been a walt. Its not unknown for dealers to add bars to enhance the value.
    Interesting from the roll that most of the Royal Scots were in fact Irish.
    He may not have been entitled to a KSA award of QSA didnt necessarily entitle to immediate award of KSA it would depend when he was in country, as you can see from the roll people were coming and going throughout the Regiments time in S.Africa.
    Good call,I think you're right about the ghost dates. Stewy

thanks KC

I have taken the below pics of the ghost date. I saw it as soon I opened it from the mail.

My real technical backround is Coin collecting.

The dates is not incuse, nor does it have any relief. It looks like its an acid etching.

interesting part is when you look at it straight on you pretty much don't see it.

whatever they did to the dates to cause this ghosting I have never seen before, they must have used a chemical.

This ghost date aspect is pretty cool.

The pins look period and good to go in my opinion.

I might sound like an idiot but what does the KSA stand for.

I am pretty sure I overpaid a fair amount on this one, But I you really don't see much of these in the states at least in the circles I move in

Thanks
    General Putnam
    Queen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa Medal

KSA = Kings South Africa. Stewy

lovely medals pre WW2,a lost art now in UK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast