Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RAF Bomber Command DFC grouping value?

Article about: A very nice sounding group. If you would like to post details of the recipient or via PM, I'll be happy to have a look at what info I may have although I dare say you have most of it already

Default Re: RAF Bomber Command DFC grouping value?

A very nice sounding group. If you would like to post details of the recipient or via PM, I'll be happy to have a look at what info I may have although I dare say you have most of it already! The citation will have a big impact on the price (immediate, accumlative etc.), as will other factors such as unit; missions; other crew members; etc.

From a purely medallic point of view, not all medal collectors like to have uniforms and large additional items such as flying gear etc. but will always pay a hefty premium if the medals come with paperwork and photos, even more so with logbooks. It's vital you keep all the paperwork with the medals as WW2 medals are notoriously difficult to provenance as they were issued unnamed, even the DFC, although some personnel did get them privately named.

Likewise, a uniform or gear collector will not necessarily wish to pay the premium for associated medals.

Personally, if space is not an issue, keep it all together.

A friend of mine was able to stop a woman from throwing out a deceased relative's medals. It was an RCAF KIA group with Air Crew Europe Star (alone worth $400 +/-). He noticed a tag of purple ribbon on the medal bar that had obviously been put together by the guy's mother or widow post-war, for wear at Remebrance Day parades.

He asked about it and the present owner of the medals explained that as the little silver Mother's Cross was marked Sterling (plus the dead airman's name rank and number, of course), she had cut it off the bar and sold it for $12. The other brass medals (plus the Canadian silver medals--not marked Sterling) were headed for the dump/tip.

What Skypilot says about collectors having widely different interests is absolutely true, but it breaks my bloody heart to see what ignorant and stupid people do in separating stuff that belongs together, especially when it provides attribution or provenance.

Cheers to all,

P.

Don't worry it will all be staying together, I have been collecting for a while and realise the significance of such groupings, I need to post some photos on here but it'll be a few weeks as we're moving very soon.

Regards,

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12